CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Composite Materials Division (CMD) in the Materials and Manufacturing Office at the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join the CMD research efforts in non-metallic and hybrid material research and development. This design and analysis position focuses on advanced material design and analysis of polymers, composites, and hybrid materials for emergent US Navy structures.
- Design and perform static and dynamic finite element analysis to support development and demonstration of emergent composite and hybrid components and systems
- Participate in concurrent and collaborative research initiatives in all program phases from concept development through sub-element and full-scale testing to final technology transition
- Apply knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures to complete difficult multi-variant design assignments.
- Identify mechanical design problems and related technical issues leading to long term, generic solutions
- Identify technical approaches for solving structural performance problems and meeting customer/grantor needs.
This job will be filled at a level 2 or level 3, depending upon the successful candidate's education and experience. Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in an Engineering or Science discipline plus five years of related experience for a level 3.
A Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in Mechanical Engineering or a related engineering field is desired.
Required experience and skills include:
- Solid mechanical engineering background with fundamental knowledge of mechanical design utilizing three-dimensional solid modeling software (e.g., NX and SolidWorks).
- Creativity in mechanical design with articulation to team members
- Ability to make sound engineering decisions in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment
Preferred experience and skills include:
- Familiarity with ABAQUS Advanced Engineering Simulation
- Proficiency in programming (C++, Python, Fortran, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Candidates for consideration must submit a cover letter of interest and a resume.
Candidates selected will be subject to a government security investigation. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
This is a one year, fixed-term renewable appointments.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion inall ofits forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission. CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO is the Law
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Penn State Policies
University Park, PA