CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The Computational Mechanics Division, located in the Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Office of The Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University is seeking two High Performance Computing Specialists to support the operational needs of systems and applications, provide strategy to design and build infrastructure plans based on business requirements, and oversee the implementation of new system technologies.
- Attend conferences and workshops relevant to HPC, advance skills, and stay current with emerging HPC technologies and trends; develop and maintain external contacts at institutions having similar HPC requirements and solutions
- Lead the design, procurement, and implementation of ARL's next generation supercomputer systems to maintain solver efficiency and fast turnaround of Navy-critical modeling activities
- Collaborate with unit leaders and stakeholders to analyze business needs to define an architectural strategy
- Investigate and resolve computational performance issues related to in-house-developed and commercial computational codes as a technical liaison with other departments and sponsors to implement, integrate, review, and evaluate technologies and services
- Interact with faculty, engineers, and students on computational needs to optimize disk usage and solution times for high-speed, high-throughput file systems
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher in plus eight years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required skills and experience include:
- A demonstrated track record of setting and meeting goals
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- The ability to work well under pressure of deadlines
Preferred skills and experience include:
- Scripting and coding: bash, python, perl, FORTRAN C/C++; large scale parallel filesystems (GPFS, Lustre, etc.); configuring and managing batch schedulers, specifically Slurm, Torque, PBS; common HPC software stacks and management tools
- Knowledge of standard networking, security practices, and user management
- Configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt
- Version control systems: Git, SVN, etc; and a working knowledge of Cray proprietary HPC hardware and administration
Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
Employment with the ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce. CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO is the Law
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Penn State Policies
University Park, PA