Engineer II, Systems Design
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of more than $24 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.Location/Division Specific Information
This position is part of the BioProcessing Collaboration Center, BioProduction Division and is based in St. Louis, MO, USA.
What will you do?
- As a member of the BioProcessing Collaboration Center, this position will help drive innovation by supporting development and refinement of Thermo Fisher Scientific biopharmaceutical production offerings (e.g., equipment, single-use technologies) to support improved manufacturability of biotherapeutics. The engineer would be responsible for lab maintenance and aid in project execution as part of a cross-company matrixed team.
How will you get here?
- Lab maintenance and support including, but not limited to, preparation of buffers/ media, mammalian cell culture, column packing, coordinating equipment servicing and preventative maintenance, and inventory management (e.g., ordering, stocking, shipping/ receiving).
- Experiment execution and data capture for upstream and downstream unit operations.
- Assisting with evaluations of new equipment, single-use technologies, and data collection/ trending systems
- This role is primarily lab-based and will support execution of experimental plans along-side members from across the company including Single-use Technologies Research and Development, Pharma Services Process Development, and Pharma Services Operations.
- Occasional weekend work will be required to support ongoing experiments.
- Additionally, the engineer would be responsible for lab general maintenance and support.
- Bachelor's or Masters degree in biochemistry, biochemical engineering, biopharmaceutical engineering, chemical engineering, or a related field
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Bachelor's degree with at least 3 years of relevant industry experience (e.g., pharmaceutical process development, operations, production).
- Masters with at least 1 year of relevant industry experience (e.g., pharmaceutical process development, operations, production)
- Required: understanding of biopharmaceutical unit operations principles and theory (i.e., bioreactors, chromatography, continuous processing, depth filtration, tangential flow filtration, virus filtration)
- Preferred: scale-up experience to large-scale/ manufacturing operations; knowledge of cGXP; single-use technologies usage.
- Required: general lab skills (e.g., buffer/ media preparation, chemical handling, pipetting); skills specific to biopharmaceutical unit operations (i.e. bioreactors, chromatography, column packing, continuous processing, depth filtration, tangential flow filtration, virus filtration); effective communication and collaboration skills; ability to work in cross-functional teams; strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail; familiarity with Microsoft Office and common biopharmaceutical unit operation software
- Preferred: Aseptic technique for mammalian cell culture.
- Required: ability to execute experiments with limited guidance/ oversight; accurately and clearly document work and results; compile of experimental data; maintains and ensures a safe laboratory environment and work practices; strong organization and planning skills; ability to adhere to standard procedures
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Posting ID: 558255736Posted: 2020-05-21