The Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) business of Spectrum Brands is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders' hardware, faucets, and commercial locksets and doors, with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset, Weiser, Baldwin, National Hardware, Stanley, FANAL, Pfister , EZSET, and Tell. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders' hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister), and #1 in U.S. retail commercial locksets. Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia.
Develops, constructs and alters molds and die sets for die casting and progressive stamping plus a wide variety of jigs, fixtures and gauges. Performs assignments that range from the use of ordinary tool room operational duties including working within tight tolerances of +/- .0002. Accountable for quantity and quality of workmanship.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- (75%) Builds die from complex set of blueprints and builds jigs and fixtures from sketches, part drawings or verbal instructions.
- (10%) Plans construction procedures and methods, selecting the proper materials.
- (10%) Participate in new tool design reviews by providing input to ensure successful tooling build and implementation.
- (5%) Makes allowances for shrinkage during the heat-treating of tools and metal flow in dies.
- (60%) Repairs tools and dies by identifying and correcting problems. Analyzes and troubleshoots progressive dies, assesses problems and repairs accordingly.
- (20%) Disassembles and reassembles all types of progressive dies and die cast molds for routine maintenance or repairs.
- (5%) Assist in training employees in new/revised manufacturing operations, in operating new or modified tooling and related equipment, and in the overall setup and maintenance of tooling.
- (5%) Draw, sketch, and/or redline tooling prints as required to ensure updated and accurate tooling print revision levels within the Viper system.
- (5%) Provides support to production area by problem-solving and building tools.
- (5%) May instruct Tool Room Apprentices and Machinists.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience Profile
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Journeyman's card or formal apprenticeship in Tool & Die making and/or 10-15 years' experience in Stamping, Knob Forming, or Die Casting tooling disciplines
- Able to read complex set of blueprints.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets technical periodicals, technical procedures, etc
- Able to analyze and troubleshoot progressive carbide lamination dies or multi-cavity Die Cast Molds.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Must have a complete knowledge of all tool room equipment and procedures. Able to operate
- Drill presses: drilling, reaming, tapping and c/boring.
- Lathes: complex turning operations, angles, tapers, threading, etc.
- Milling machines: complex milling, slotting, rotary table, boring, indexing, speeds and feds, cutter selection, etc.
- Surface grinding: perform complex radius/form grinding, selection of wheels, sine bars, angles and slots, etc.
- precision measuring equipment (micrometers, Vernier's and comparators)
- Knowledge of and ability to perform oxygen/acetylene welding techniques.
- Able to operate CNC and Wire EDM machines is desirable.
- Able to solve mathematical equations and problems using geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of information in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrate unyielding integrity in leadership and transactions.
- Deliver on time and on target commitments for the team.
- Inspire excellence by setting stretch goals and recognize team accomplishments
- Develop trust, accountability, commitment, and result through teamwork with caring and fun leadership.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment and non-climate controlled manufacturing facility.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.