I. Basic Purpose:
Assists the pharmacist, under supervision, in preparation of IV admixtures using sterile technique. Assists the pharmacist, under supervision, in preparation of medications for dispensing.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Assists in specialty areas such as OR, Oncology and/or IV prep room.
4. Utilizes knowledge of pharmacology, pharmaceutical calculations, and pharmacy practice to assist the pharmacist in preparation of meds and review of patient therapy.
5. Greets visitors, respond to calls and/or visits from employees, patients and/or families and vendors. Determine urgency of situation and suggest appropriate referral.
6. Assists in clinical and financial monitoring activities as appropriate.
7. Assists the pharmacist in dose calculations, order-entry, unit inspections, and data collection as required.
8. Performs monthly off site inspections of network sites as required to review medication storage and safety requirements, labeling requirements, patient education requirements, and to inspect for expired medications.
9. Prepares IV admixture solutions, total parenteral nutrition fluids, and chemotherapy fluids using aseptic technique.
10. Prepares medication orders, prn requests, and refills medication cassettes for dispensing, under the supervision of a registered pharmacist
11. Charges or credits returned medications/IVs, stock medications, and controlled medications in a timely manner.
12. Obtains required computer lists and reports at appropriate times; maintains department records.
13. Assists in ordering, receiving, and restocking of supplies. Assists in distribution of medications/IVs to patient care areas.
14. Utilizes automated pharmaceutical dispensing systems.
15. Performs restocking procedures for floor stock items and automated dispensing machines.
16. Inspects pharmacy stock areas periodically for expired drugs, proper inventory levels and maintains a clean and orderly department.
17. Participates in educational programs and in-service meetings.
18. Obtains required continued education credits to maintain certification.
19. Attends meetings as required.
20. Any technician performing duties under the supervision of a pharmacist at St Lucie West Emergency Department must have a clean driving record.
21. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements:
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Hospital pharmacy technician experience required.
Current, valid CPhT (Certified Pharmacy Technician) certification from Pharmacy Technician Certification Board required.
Pharmacy technician registration required as defined by the State of Florida Primary Source online verification required directly from State of Florida licensing database.
Must have previous Pharmacy Tech experience, including ability to perform IV and work independently. Must be proficient with IV and dependent on meeting these criteria.
Data entry, basic math and customer service skills are required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities