I. Basic Purpose:
Performs basic direct patient care activities, patient comfort procedures and technical skills under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Adheres to Customer Service standards. Promotes patient and family satisfaction with hospital care and services. Ensures patient and family needs are met in a speedy fashion. Expectation of the position is that when call lights are answered at the desk, patients are addressed with their name, then staff member gives name and statement asking what we can do to help patient. Promotes customer service initiatives related to hourly rounding. Rounding should be done alternating hours with the RN. Intentional rounding should focus on the 4 P's (potty, positioning, proximity and pain). Also, utilize patient communication boards and update each shift.
4. Performs basic patient care procedures, patient comfort procedures and technical procedures including prepping (including clipper prep), thermal applications, sterile/non-sterile soaks, basic wound care, application of sterile/non-sterile dressings, setting up a sterile field, phlebotomy, EKG, and bed side glucose monitoring. May assist with patient positioning under direction of a physician or RN.
5. Obtains and documents intake and output, patient vital signs, including temperature, blood pressure, weight, respiration and pulse.
6. Reports status of assigned activity completion, patient status changes, patient complaints or requests to the RN as indicated and periodically during the shift.
7. Transports patients as directed.
8. Transports specimens to designated areas; assists with ordering specimen studies as necessary.
9. Maintains Confidentiality of patient and unit care data.
10. Adheres to all Patient Safety standards. Promotes and maintains a safe, private, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients/families.
11. Ensures adequate stock of supplies and proper functioning of equipment.
12. Participates in educational programs and in-service meetings as required.
13. Assists with orientation and training of new department staff.
14. Actively participates in unit-based quality improvement activities.
15. Duties may require access to secured medication rooms. While working in medication rooms, does not handle or remove medications. Ensures room is secure at all times and takes precautions to ensure that patients, family members, and general public do not enter medication room for any reason.
16. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
17. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required;
Certified Nursing Assistant document and/or document/transcript demonstrating successful completion of first semester of nursing school (fundamentals of nursing or equivalent) OR State of FL EMT OR Paramedic License OR National EMT - (primary source online verification required directly from State of Florida Licensing database for FL licenses) OR must have successfully completed the MHS Patient Care Technician Residency Program.
Current acceptable CPR/BLS certification required: American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider OR American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer;
Must successfully complete the didactic and clinical components of MHS PCT training/clinical orientation.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities