The HIMCoordinator III performs the duties related, but not limited to, the retrieval and distribution of medical record information needed for patient care, insurance, personal retention, research, and legal purposes. Release patient health information appropriately to requesters according to State and Federal regulations as well as Departmental Policies and Procedures. This position also involves extensive customer service such as answering the telephone, providing assistance to customers regarding the status of requests for release of information, accurately relaying the process that needs to be followed to obtain medical information, assisting a customer onsite by gathering their medical records for release and facilitating payment for those records, and speaking with physicians or other healthcare entities regarding requests for records.Primary Duties:
- Ensures authorizations for release of health information are HIPAA and State compliant and releases patient information in accordance with minimum necessary guidelines
- Ensures mode by which information is released (fax, mail, UPS, or electronic) is appropriate for the nature of the request
- Maintains and Ensures up to date knowledge of HIM practices, regulatory & applicable laws used in processing ROI requests and protecting the confidentiality of PHI
- Verifies and identifies authority of requesters of information as well as using appropriate methods to identify patient and dates of service to be released.
- Retrieves medical records, microfilm and/or electronic records as needed for the requesters by utilizing appropriate electronic health information repository or HIM-specific application
- Accurately assemble the official medical record upon request in accordance with policy for regulatory reviews and court appearances.
- Performs quality checks on records before printing/copying the medical record, prior to release of health information.
- Contacts appropriate department to have any quality issues reviewed prior to completing the request
- Log all requests received and processed into the release of information database, capturing all of the required fields.
- Forward all requests for information not stored in the Health Information Management Department to its appropriate location for processing.
- Provides information in a timely manner to meet needs of customer and to stay within designated HIPAA time frames for release of information.
- When processing billable requests, ensure that the correct billing tier was selected for the request and know when a requester should be pre-billed.
- Keep track of outstanding pre-billed requests and call requesters as a reminder that payment is due.
- Process payments for medical records as per the HIM Departmental procedure; ensure that all payments are posted
- Performs other duties as requested.
Job Requirements General Information/Qualifications:
ProMedicais a mission-based, not-for-profit integrated healthcare organization headquartered in Toledo, Ohio. It serves communities in 28 states. The organization offers acute and ambulatory care, an insurance company with a dental plan, and post-acute and academic business lines. The organization has more than 56,000 employees, 13 hospitals, 2,100+ physicians and advanced practice providers with privileges, 900+ healthcare providers employed by ProMedica Physicians, a health plan, and nearly 400 assisted living facilities, skilled nursing and rehabilitation centers, memory care communities, outpatient rehabilitation clinics, and hospice and home health care agencies. Driven by its Mission to improve your health and well-being, ProMedica has been nationally recognized for its advocacy programs and efforts to address social determinants of health. For more information about ProMedica, please visit www.promedica.org/aboutus.Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, height, weight, familial or marital status, or genetics.Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace
- Associate Degree in health information Technology or related field preferred or 2 years Healthcare exp. required
- RHIT/RHIA Preferred
- Public Notary Preferred
- Medical terminology required
- Demonstrated typing competency 40 WPM
- Ability to multi-task and work well in high-stress situations
- Must possess good organizational and priority setting skills and exercise independent judgment with minimal guidance and supervision
- Must be able to move about facilities, between workstations and occasional travel between department satellite locations
- Must be able to occasionally move, lift and/or carry medium weight objects and materials weighing 30lbs
- Must be able to understand directions, communicate and respond to inquiries; requires effective self-motivation and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to input and retrieve information from computer
- Must maintain knowledge of current Health information technology and healthcare trends
Employee Exemption Type
Budgeted Hours / Pay Period
Additional Schedule Details
Posting ID: 558405635Posted: 2020-05-22