The Save Mart Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in California and Nevada. It is home to a number of well-known brands in food retailing. You might have seen our banners that include Save Mart, Lucky, Lucky California and Food Maxx. We also have 4 distribution centers and SMART Refrigerated Transport, a trucking firm that transports dry groceries, frozen foods, ice and novelties to all of The Save Mart Companies stores. We are a locally and family owned business, headquartered in the heart of one of the greatest agricultural areas of our nation - the San Joaquin Valley.
Some of our competitive benefits include: exceptionally generous benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K), flexible schedule options, Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!), Life Long Learning - Educational opportunities, Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
We are currently recruiting for the position of:
MEAT CUTTER APPRENTICE - 715 W. Grangeville, Hanford, CA 93230
The Meat Cutter Apprentice is responsible for learning the duties of a Meat Cutter along ensures that our customers' needs are met and exceeded by delivering remarkable customer service and providing customers with exceptional product knowledge, efficient service and a friendly attitude. The Meat Cutter Apprentice is responsible for creating an appealing presentation of the variety and selection of meat, poultry, and seafood products by following the ordering, cutting, grinding, slicing, processing, wrapping, product rotation, and merchandising standards. In addition, the Meat Cutter Apprentice supports the Meat department by practicing safe food handling procedures and keeping the Meat Department area and equipment clean at all times.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Locate appropriate meat portions, and prepare specific cuts of meat
• Use knives and occasional band saw to prepare specific cuts of meat from larger portions
• Arrange packages on display and remove any out of date or damaged packages from display
• Set deli scale and printer for proper pricing and labeling of the meat to be wrapped
• Responsible to use power equipment and hand tools such as a grinder, cubing machine and a power saw.
• Operate an electric tow motor to move pallets from the receiving area to storage areas
• Portion cuts and trims of meat to size for display and by customer orders
Clean and sanitize work area and tools; wash, wipe, and clean tools, equipment, and counters; sweep and/or hose floor surfaces
• Receive and rotate all meat products
• Wrap fresh and processed meat
• Learn the inventory process
• Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
Must adhere to the companies guidelines
Ability to learn to identify and cut all meat types
Ability to comprehend and follow specific instructions
Ability to perform simple and repetitive tasks
Ability to maintain work lace appropriate to a given work load
Education: High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) (or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience)
Experience: Six months of related experience
Other: Available to work a variety of required retail hours; must be able to operate equipment used in the department (grinder, pallet jacks, saws, scales, register, etc.)
Physical: Store environment: ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop, use stairs, reach, pull and lift objects; requires lifting up to 40 lbs.
• Customer Focus
• Quality/Quantity of Work
• Personal/Interpersonal Skills
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.