The Risk Safety Manager helps operations teams deliver on a critical UNFI value: "Do the Right Thing - Put Safety and Integrity at the Forefront of Everything We Do." This role is responsible for leading the Distribution Center in a fast-paced and complex environment and has responsibility across the building for creating a world class safety culture in which UNFI associates are proactive when it comes to safety. That means we look out for our own safety and we look out for each other's safety - always. This role is a both a subject matter and cultural expert on safety in our Distribution Centers and supports the day to day operations on all aspects of risk/safety. Job Responsibilities:
As a key member of the Risk/Safety leadership team, you will:
- Be a champion of promoting, communicating, and enforcing warehouse safety, fleet safety, environmental safety, food safety, and loss prevention & security programs. Be a cultural ambassador of safety and ensure that all associates, visitors, and vendors understand the Company's commitment to providing a safe workplace.
- Be a key advisor to the Operations Leadership team so they understand weaknesses, deficiencies, and challenges within our safety culture and collaborate with leadership to address these issues.
- Be and stay current with all State, Federal, and local regulatory agencies to ensure compliance regarding local DC operations.
- Be on the floor of the Distribution Center so that you have a deep understanding of what is occurring within your building on all shifts on all days so you can be an effective safety leader.
- Provide (and develop as needed) new hire safety training programs with a strong focus on Warehouse Safety, Fleet Safety, and Food Safety. Ensure all training is completed on-time.
- Develop, facilitate and coordinate engaging refresher and new training programs
- Consistently drive and execute innovation for safety messaging, development of safety culture, and nurture the belief that safety is and should always be everyone's top priority.
- Oversee the effectiveness of the workers compensation program and partner with all members of the Distribution Center leadership to reduce the overall injury rate.
- Create, maintain and monitor a culture where all DC meetings, particularly pre-shift meetings, start with a meaningful discussion of safety (i.e., a safety moment).
- Lead post-accident investigations and train and support others in effective and up-to-date accident investigation practices.
- Monitor (and report and address noncompliance) adherence to the DC's safety programs, practices, policies and procedures that cover a wide range of Company and Regulatory agency required activity.
- Strongly focus on Powered Industrial Truck safety including ensuring policies are in place and followed, equipment is well-maintained, and drivers are trained and observed on a continuous basis
- Represent the Company's interests as directed and approved at regulatory agency proceedings
- Develop, request and review accident reports to develop and share insights and trends with the Distribution Center leadership.
- Ensure all emergency action plans are in place, understood, and practiced including evacuations, fire drills, and other emergencies.
- Implement corporate directives related to and including ergonomic observations, hazard assessments, approved practices, data analysis and metrics analyses
- Manage the employee return-to-work program and medical case management programs
- Coordinate services of the worker's compensation claims administrator, and property and liability insurance carriers.
- Analyze factors that may create accidents, accident conditions, or enables multiple accidents; creating charts, graphs, and communications to site Leadership calling out such factors.
- Ensure that the Distribution Center's Safety Committee is well-staffed, has engaging and interactive meetings, executes on meaningful activities, focuses on accident prevention and has an important and recognized voice at the Distribution Center. Responsible for ensuring the national ammonia Process Safety Program is in place and effective within the DC (if applicable) including 100% partnership with the Maintenance/Facilities leadership.
- Coordinate incident investigations and ensure all incidents (no matter how small) get reported and investigated along with recommendations tracked until completion.
- Performs other job duties as required.
- B.S. in Safety or Science/Engineering (preferred)
- SQF Practitioner
- HACCP Certified
- ASP/CSP preferred
- 5 to 10 years in administering safety programs within a DC or manufacturing site
- Demonstrated ability to drive safety culture improvements
- Experience in WC, AL and GL claims
- System Implementation Preferred
- Strong background in warehouse/distribution safety
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA, DOT, EPA & FDA rules and regulations
- Broad working knowledge of federal, state, and local safety, health, environmental, and worker's compensation laws and regulations
- Knowledge of medical, legal and hazardous chemical terminology
- Knowledge of security protocols
- Strong training and coaching skills
- Ability to work flexible hours (including regular observations and interaction with 2nd, 3rd, and weekend shifts)
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of associates from front-line colleagues to the General Manager.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. - M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Posting ID: 558406798Posted: 2020-05-22