Meat Clerk, Meat WrapperDEPARTMENT:
Meat DepartmentBrief Description of Job Duties
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Has ability to recognize and cut all varieties of beef, pork, chicken, veal and lamb. Handles food in a safe manner and ensures neatness of department. Grinds, slices, and tenderizes meat, rotates stock, stocks cases, and places product in the coolers and freezers.WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:Accountable and Reports to (Job Title):
Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Operations Specialist, Meat Manager, Assistant Meat Manager, PIC.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the department telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Conveys customer special orders to appropriate personnel.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Reviews the status and appearance of department merchandise for freshness.
- Ensures appropriate stocking of fresh and smoked meat/pork/poultry cases, coolers and freezers by rotating and replenishing product. Checks invoices against delivered product.
- Cuts and trims fresh meat.
- Weighs, dates, labels and wraps fresh meat.
- Responsible for proper inventory control (pricing, ordering, stocking).
- Produces fresh ground beef and pork as service levels designate.
- Slices hams and other approved boneless, smoked items.
- Tenderizes meat or pork using cuber machine.
- Cleans all equipment in the meat department area on a daily basis.
- Checks signage to ensure it is with the appropriate product and at the correct price.
- Reports out-of-stock products to appropriate personnel.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Removes trash in a timely manner.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
- Protects associates and customers by removing hazards from the sales floor in a timely manner.
- Insures that all food is handled in accordance with local health department regulations.
(These are considered occasional in nature)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
- Washes pans, line rollers, etc., as necessary.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
- The ability to work for prolonged periods of time in refrigerated and frozen levels of temperatures.
- The ability to work in an environment with continuous high noise levels.
- Must be able to safely operate a box cutter, meat cutting knife, cuber, slicer, wrapper, and all cleaning equipment found in the meat department.
- Must have the ability to carry out detailed written or verbal instructions.
- Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
- Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
- Visual requirements include vision from less then 20 inches to more than 20 feet with depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish color), and field of vision.
- Must be able to work shifts varying in length and times, including nights, weekends and holidays.
This position is exposed daily to a variety of sharp objects, cross contamination hazards, excessive noise, temperature extremes, dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.EQUIPMENT USED TO PERFORM JOB:
Slicer, cuber, wrapper, meat grinder, trimming knife, pallet jack, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, box cutter, power pallet jack, Telxon, stock cart, meat tray rack and intercom.CONTACTS:
Deals with customers, co workers and the general public on a daily basis.
Physical Requirements for an 8 Hour Workday Activity(at one time)<30Min.1hr2hr3hr4hr5hr6hr7hr8hrStandingSittingWalkingVisual Acuity (i.e., reading a computerHand MovementActivityRight, Left, orBoth handsNot at allOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8 hoursSimple Grasping
Activity(at one time)None<30Min.1 hr2 hr3 hr4 hr5 hr6 hr7 hr8 hrInsideOutsideInside CoolerInside FreezerActions Required While Working on the JobActivityNot at allSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 -5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursStairsClimbBend/StoopKneelCrouchCrawlPush/Pull (pallet on jack)SquatReach above Shoulder LevelReach at Shoulder LevelOther (explain)Lifting RequirementsFunctions LiftingNoneSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursDistance Lifted(inches, feet, yards)1 lbs. to5 lbs.
6 ft.5 lbs. to 10 lbs.
6 ft.10 lbs. to 20 lbs.
6 ft.20 lbs. to 30 lbs.
6 ft.30 lbs. to 40 lbs.
6 ft.40 lbs. to 50 lbs.
6 ft.50 lbs. to 100 lbs.
6 ft.Carrying RequirementsFunctions CarryingNoneSeldom0 - 1hoursOccasionally1 - 2 hoursFrequently2 - 5 hoursContinuously5 - 8hoursDistance Carried (inches, feet, yards)1 lbs. to5 lbs.
10 ft.5 lbs. to 10 lbs.
10 ft.10 lbs. to 20 lbs.
10 ft.20 lbs. to 30 lbs.
10 ft.30 lbs. to 40 lbs.
10 ft.40 lbs. to 50 lbs.
10 ft.50 lbs. to 100 lbs.
10 ft.Pushing / Pulling RequirementFunctionsPushing/PullingItems / MaterialForce PoundsDistance Pushed/PulledSurfacePallet Jack
Concrete/tileOther: Why Work for Supervalu?
SUPERVALU Inc. is one of the largest grocery wholesalers and retailers in the U.S. with annual sales of approximately $17 billion. SUPERVALU serves customers across the United States through a network of almost 3,400 stores. Headquartered in Minnesota, SUPERVALU has about 35,000 employees. We know that bright, motivated people are the reason for our success. Because of our employees, we've been providing the best service to our customers for more than 135 years.
We encourage FRESH thinking, offer an environment of inclusion and support, and set no boundaries on your achievement!
A GREAT PLACE TO GROW!