As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Dairy Clerk provides friendly, courteous, and helpful
service. Stocks shelves in the dairy department of a retail grocery store. Sorts and rotates dairy
merchandise. May stock product in displays or cases on the floor. Cleans shelves, products and coolers,
rotates and faces stock. Stores milk, eggs and frozen dairy foods in appropriate cooler/freezers. Empties
trash cans, keeps the dairy department clean. May answer telephone, make/or answer intercom pages.
Safeway Dairy Clerk employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and
within company policy.
1. Maintain cleanliness of the dairy area of the store.
1. Replace stock in coolers, freezers and dairy displays in the dairy area.
1. Clean shelves, products and cooler.
1. Sorts merchandise and stocks shelves.
1. Examines product for expiration dates and removes expired items.
1. Uses trash compactor and bailer.
1. Responsible for taking daily temperature checks.
1. Ordering product.
1. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or
1. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
1. Ability to work independently when necessary.
1. Ability to understand and follow directions.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
%Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: 0-42 F. Frequently in cooler and freezer.
Chemicals: Seldom (mild detergents or glass cleaner)
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
hand truck, six-wheeled cart, grocery cart, pallet jack, box cutter, pens and pencils, spray bottle, rags,
mops, brooms, telephone/intercom, compactor, bailer
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-10 lbs. Frequently lifts 11-50 lbs.
Constantly carries 1-10 lbs. Frequently carries 11-20 lbs. Occasionally carries 21-50 lbs.
Pushing / Pulling:
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. when facing shelves and moving small stock. Frequently pushes/pulls
11-35 lbs. when moving stock. Seldom pushes/pulls 36-50 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder level reaching. Occasional at or above shoulder level reaching. Seldom
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking while on job.
Seldom. May use step stool or ladder to reach upper shelves.
Frequent neck rotation, bending of head and bending/stooping. Occasional twisting, crouching, and
squatting. Seldom kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping when moving stock, stocking shelves and facing shelves. Occasional forceful
gripping to move heavier items. Seldom repetitive motion when facing.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around crowded store area and push carts in aisles
containing customers and to move in crowded dairy and backroom areas. Near vision used to read
expiration dates and tags.
Converse with customers, provide service, perceive questions and conduct business. Answer pages and
receive instructions from other employees.
Converse with customers, answer questions and conduct business. Page other employees over intercom;
give information to other employees.
Safeway, INC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posting ID: 558409320Posted: 2020-05-22