WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO?
As a Tax Examining Technician you will resolve inquiries regarding tax account issues such as tax delinquency, adjust taxpayer accounts and provide information about general Service procedures. In this role, you will analyze and take appropriate actions as identified in the specific position for which you are applying. Your assignments may include communicating with taxpayers and their representatives regarding their accounts on notices issued.As a Tax Examining Technician you will:
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS?
- Evaluate all available information and take corrective actions, such as credit transfers requests, re-computed tax, and/or penalty and interest.
- Access relevant systems to view and/or update taxpayers' accounts regarding payments received, review status of the case, and/or to make account adjustments.
- Enter data into automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and/or credit adjustments.
- Recognize indications of tax fraud; make determinations and use sound judgment concerning taxpayers' data and responses.
- Gain cooperation of taxpayers by explaining the best options available to resolve the problem or question, mutual interests, and to make sure they understand their responsibilities.
- Interpret the law as it relates to the issues and if affects the performance and efficiency of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Educate taxpayers on action(s) needed to achieve compliance with tax filing/liabilities.
If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
07 Job family (Series)
0592 Tax Examining Requirements
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Click 'Print Preview' to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Please refer to 'Other Information.'
- IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-7 LEVEL: You must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-6 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: using business tax law, the IRM, the IRC, IRS collection techniques and enforcement actions, tax forms, notices, bills, and other documents to advise the taxpayer of options for meeting tax obligations; Investigative/probing techniques to solicit relevant information; Communicating specialized information orally or in writing with internal and external customers inventory management procedures; and have demonstrated the ability to provide clear and concise replies to taxpayers or their representatives.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
-To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-06 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Posting ID: 558409464Posted: 2020-05-22