WHAT DOES AN INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER ADVISORY SPECIALIST DO?
As an Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist (ITAS) you will be responsible for providing customer assistance and resolving account and notice issues for Wage and Investment customers. In this role, you will have the opportunity to examine returns involving customers whose principle source of income are from salary wages, dividends, and investments as well as answer tax law questions, and eventually work to resolve complex account and notice issues. You will be responsible for resolving taxpayer account, payment, filing and notice issues, and facilitating the resolution of some examination and collection issues. In this critical role, you will also serve to educate taxpayers and promote voluntary compliance.As an Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist you will:
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS?
- Advise taxpayers in meeting their Federal Tax obligations; Provide taxpayer assistance on tax law inquiries, filing requirements, status and web base filing.
- Perform research, analysis, and necessary computations, to recommend adjustments to customer's accounts.
- Address complex issues such as determination of active/passive loss, i.e., active participation issues or applicability of at-risk rules.
- Provide technical tax law advice on newly enacted legislation, complex tax law issues, referrals, changes in regulations and policies.
If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Nights per Month
11 Job family (Series)
0501 Financial Administration And Program Requirements
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Refer to Other Information
- Click 'Print Preview' to review the entire announcement before applying
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: demonstrating knowledge of tax code and regulations applicable to individual income, excise, and employment taxes; knowledge of taxpayer rights, tax law, and relevant policies and procedures; and interviewing techniques sufficient to determine the nature of taxpayer assistance and skills in maintaining professionalism and courtesy even during confrontational situations. OR You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: a PH.D or equivalent degree or 3 full academic years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a degree in a related field of study from an accredited college or university. ORLLM, if related. OR You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-12 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Posting ID: 558409511Posted: 2020-05-22