As an ACCOUNTANT (STAFF)
, you will:
- Communicate solutions, both orally and in writing, to diverse audiences.
- Perform accounting, analysis, and reporting to maintain financial integrity.
- Review, analyze, and interpret applicable legislation, appropriation language, OMB directives, Treasury, and Departmental guidelines.
- Develop specific regulatory and/or procedural guidance for implementation and maintenance.
- Prepare the Department's monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and related notes.
13 Job family (Series)
0510 Accounting Requirements
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
If you do not meet any of the categories listed above, you may wish to apply under announcement 20-DO-300-P, which is open for any U.S. citizen to apply. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
- Please refer to 'Conditions of Employment.'
- Click 'Print Preview' to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience:For the GS-13: you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience includes providing advice or support on accounting and financial reporting matters.
Examples of the specialized experience for this position:
Experience with performing financial analysis and reporting functions; OR
Experience applying proprietary and budgetary generally accepted accounting principles knowledge (e.g., FASAB, FASB); OR
Experience applying financial reporting requirements in the preparation and issuance of annual audited financial statements (e.g., USSGL, TFM, and OMB A-136).
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following time-in-grade requirement, if applicable:
For the GS-13, you must have been at the GS-12 level for 52 weeks.
The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Posting ID: 558409567Posted: 2020-05-22