Conduct atmospheric and space inspections to determine that the area is safe for workers and hot work. Maintain and ensure calibration of atmospheric testing equipment. Maintains records of inspections and tests. Applies gas free work scope process to production needs while ensuring compliance to NFPA 306 and associated regulatory requirements. Evaluates and coordinates the requirement for Marine Chemist required inspections. Test hollow structures for explosive atmosphere and recommends safe work practices. Conduct training in confined and enclosed space entry. Monitor sub-contractors production activities to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and contractual safety standards.Required Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education
- Coordinate all work functions in confined and enclosed spaces by performing atmospheric testing to ensure the space is safe for workers and safe for hot work.
- Maintain and ensure calibration of atmospheric testing equipment.
- Maintain records on inspections and tests.
- Apply gas free work scope process to production needs while ensuring compliance to NFPA 306 and associated regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate and coordinate the requirement for Marine Chemist required inspections.
- Test hollow structures for explosive atmosphere and recommends safe work practices.
- Conduct training in confined and enclosed space entry. Monitor sub-contractors production activities to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and contractual safety standards.
- Previous experience as a safety technician or inspector in a maritime environment.
- Interact with employees, management, customers, subcontractors and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to provide training to groups of various sizes.
- Perform evaluation and testing in various environments including but not limited to noise, illumination, atmospheric conditions (confined spaces), ensuring proper working environments are established and maintained.
- Knowledge and skills of computer use and programs using Microsoft Office programs Word, Excel. Populate and maintain department data bases, archiving, report writing, maintaining files, etc.
- Capable to work in a variety of physically demanding environments and weather conditions. Including climbing, bending, crawling, working at heights, inside of enclosed and confined spaces, heat, rain, wind, etc. The job is performed primarily on board vessels, ships, crafts and barges; however 5% of the job is performed shore side, in piping and electrical tunnels.
- May be exposed to extreme heat, cold, noise, heights and confined spaces. Administrative tasks such as computer entry, record retention, and filing make up 30% of the job and are performed in an office environment.
shipyard competent person 24 hour and current 8 hour certification.About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Posting ID: 558409641Posted: 2020-05-22