Agency: Agriculture and Consumer Services
Working Title: LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER - 42001749
Posting Closing Date: 05/31/2020LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERFLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND CONSUMER SERVICESOFFICE OF AGRICULTURAL LAW ENFORCEMENTThe headquarters for this position is negotiable between Suwannee, Hamilton, and Nassau Counties with a starting salary of $35,000.16.This is an Open Competitive Opportunity.Agricultural Law Enforcement Officer Duties -
The incumbent in this position is responsible for law enforcement activities as specified in Section 570.65, Florida Statutes. These acts include, but are not limited to, criminal violations involving: domesticated animals, livestock, poultry, aquaculture products, farms and farm equipment, livery tack, citrus and citrus products, trespass, littering, forests, theft of forest products, protection of consumers, all criminal laws and civil traffic laws committed on property owned, managed, or occupied by the department, any emergency situation in which the life, limb, or property of any person is placed in danger and any crime incidental to or related thereof. Each law enforcement officer shall meet the qualifications of law enforcement officers established by Chapter 943, Florida Statutes. Each officer is subject to and has the same arrest, jurisdiction and other authority provided for state law enforcement officers in Chapter 901, Florida Statutes. Each officer also has the same right and authority to carry arms as do the sheriffs of this state. Minimum Requirements-
One of the following is required -
- United States Citizen.
- High School graduate or GED.
- Must be 18 years of age to apply and 19 years of age by date of hire.
- Valid driver license with no more than four moving traffic violations within the past three years.
- Have not been convicted of driving a vehicle or operating a vessel under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance within the past five years.
- Have not refused to submit to a breath/blood/urine test within the last five years.
- Have not been convicted of any felony or any misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from any of the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
- Good moral character.
- Must possess active law enforcement certificate in compliance with Florida Statute 943
One (1) year of law enforcement experience (sworn or non-sworn);Two (2) years of work experience; Two (2) years of active and continuous military service can substitute for the required work experience; College education can substitute at the rate of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours for the required sworn law enforcement experience.Selection Process
- The OALE selection process takes approximately two to three months to complete. Steps to complete the selection process include, but are not limited to, 1. A completed State of Florida Employment Application; 2. A completed Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement Sworn Supplemental Application; 3. Oral Review Board; 4. Background Investigation; 5. Psychological Evaluation; 6. Medical Evaluation; 7. Drug ScreeningBenefits
- State of Florida Retirement package; Ten (10) Paid Holidays annually; Paid Annual Leave; Paid Sick Leave; Health Insurance for Individual or Family Coverage; Life Insurance ($25,000.00); Additional supplemental insurances are available such as dental, vision, etc.; Tax Deferred Medical and Child Care Reimbursement Accounts available; Tax Deferred Savings Program available through payroll deduction; Post Tax Benefits available.Uniforms and Dry-cleaning Allowance
- All required uniforms, equipment and weapons are provided at no cost; Uniform maintenance allowance is $500 annually.Duty Stations and Assignments
- Duty stations are assigned based upon position availability, agency needs and candidate location. These areas include, but are not limited to, Interstate 10 in Suwannee County; Interstate 75 in Hamilton County; Interstate 95 in Nassau County. Education and Training Incentive Payments
- Sworn employees are eligible to receive up to $130 monthly for the completion of career development courses and/or an Associate's or Bachelor's degree.Starting Salary
- $35,000.16 ***ATTENTION CANDIDATES***To be considered for a position with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services:
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services values and supports employment of individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.Contact-
- All fields in the Candidate Profile must be completed.
- Work history, hours worked, and formal education fields must be filled out to determine qualifications for this position.
- Responses to Qualifying Questions must be verifiable in the Candidate Profile.
Carol Richards at (850) 617-7067 or AgLawRecruitment@FDACS.gov, with any questions or concerns. Special Notes -
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.VETERANS' PREFERENCE.
Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply.Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation requirements are available by clickinghere. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement. Nearest Major Market: