Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY - 64029103
Salary: $863.60 biweekly
Posting Closing Date: 06/02/2020Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Florida Department of Health. If you're looking to build a great career in public health - you've come to the right place. Many of our innovative and successful home-visiting programs are recognized throughout Florida. We hope you decide to join this team and make the Florida Department of Health your employer of choice.The Department of Health's mission is to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts
. Administrative Secretary
This administrative position is responsible for dealing with both staff and the public requiring excellent customer service skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Knowledge of procurement procedures and methods and DOH financial systems for tracking encumbrances and payments are a must. The incumbent must possess a willingness to work in a team, prepare monthly travel authorization requests and travel reimbursements for staff, as well as purchase necessary supplies and equipment for both the program and staff. This is an internal agency posting, only current Department of Health employees will be considered.
The successful incumbent will be responsible for performing the following duties in a professional and competent manner and must deal effectively with customers of various types of backgrounds and cultures to assist with:
- Preparing travel authorization requests
- Completing travel reimbursements for staff
- Creating purchase requisitions
- Receiving all orders when delivered
- Verifying orders have been received as ordered
- Preparing and submits invoices
- Monitoring and tracks budget expenditures
- Training new staff on purchase requests and completion of travel related forms
- Reviewing operating practices and procedures
- Providing back up for other staff support positions
- Responsible for opening the Largo Center building each morning for staff and clients;
- Establishes and maintains an accurate filing system for all program correspondence and documents.
- Keeps current with volume of documentation to be filed;
- Prepares travel authorization requests for staff in STMS (Statewide Travel Management System);
- Complete travel reimbursement for staff using STMS (Statewide Travel Management System);
- Answers phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties or take messages.
- Completes timesheets and Employee Activity Records (EARs) timely and accurately;
- Completes assigned program tasks with minimal direct supervision.
- Serves as the backup for the Senior Clerk position, covering lunch period and approved leave time.
- Maintains familiarity and competence with the automated purchase requisition and invoice payment system My Florida Market Place (MFMP).
- Creates purchase requisitions in MFMP in a timely manner per DOH procedures;
- Makes purchases for official state business using the purchasing card in compliance with Florida Law and DOH rules and regulations governing purchasing policies and the established guidelines for use. These include, Florida Administrative Code 60A-1, FAC, Florida Statute Chapter 215, FS - Financial Matters, and Chapter 287, Part 1, FS - Commodities, Insurance and Contractual Services;
- Receives all orders when delivered, recording receipt in MFMP if appropriate.
- Verifies orders have been received as ordered and places in appropriate location;
- Prepares and submits invoices for authorized purchases to Accounts Payable following established DOH procedures;
- Tracks and submits P-card purchases follow WORKS procedures;
- Monitors and tracks budget expenditures by entering information into the Budget Tracking Sheet;
- Works with the School Health Services Program Coordinator to maintain the inventory of program supplies, equipment, and materials;
- Acts as a resource for program staff in the preparation and completion of project assignments. Capable of independent judgment in problem situations;
- Organizes and completes projects, as assigned, within established schedules;
- Reviews operating practices and procedures to determine whether improvements can be made in areas such as workflow, reporting procedures, or expenditures.
- Maintains the Staff Informational Bulletin Board at least monthly to provide a resource for staff on department policies, procedures, employee health topics and staff changes.
Other related duties
- Conducts training of new staff on purchase request process and completion of travel related forms;
- Assists School Health Services Program Coordinator with training of school health services staff in STMS;
- Attends in-service training, and utilizes available personal improvement training opportunities.or other scheduled events as assigned or requested that are deemed appropriate to enhance or supplement the duties performed;
- Completes trainings each year, including all mandatory training and training that promotes professional and personal growth.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities needed for the position:
- Promote the DOH-Pinellas and Agency mission by participating in quality improvement activities;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of procurement procedures and methods;
- Knowledge of DOH financial systems for tracking encumbrances and payments;
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services;
- Skill in use of a personal computer;
- Skill in using State procurement system MFMP;
- Skill in using the State Travel Management System (STMS);
- Skill in using State procurement system MFMP;
- Skill in using the State Purchasing Card System (WORKS);
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others;
- Ability to use multiple computer programs and software such as Microsoft office to retrieve and/or input data.
- At least one year experience working in a public health setting
- At least one year experience working with the automated purchase requisition and invoice payment system My Florida Market Place (MFMP).
- At least one year experience working in the Statewide Travel Management System (STMS)
- At least one year experience using the state purchasing card system WORKS
- Able to work flexible work scheduled
*Note: Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process.
- Fluent speaking, writing and reading both English and Spanish
- Working knowledge of the Financial Information and Reporting System (FIRS)
Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days
Current State Employees - Salary for current employees is based on employee's current payband/ paygrade.
Only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers will be hired.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962 will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, visit http://www.sss.gov.
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit. Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration. Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) to conduct this background check.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended, or deemed ineligible depending on the date of your retirement.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.VETERANS' PREFERENCE.
Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply.Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation requirements are available by clickinghere. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement. Nearest Major Market: