Are you passionate about the retail grocery market and organic products? Are you a leader? Are you ready to join one of the fastest growing companies in the retail grocery market? If so, Fresh Thyme Farmers Market is the place for you! Our unique business model, fast paced and growing environment, promote from within culture, and excellent benefits make Fresh Thyme the best employer in the grocery market. Careers have been blooming at Fresh Thyme since our inception in 2012 - yours should be no different!
The Meat Manager
is responsible for managing all aspects of the Meat Department including staff, sales, margin, and labor. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Meat Department. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Education and Experience
- Prepares the weekly sales and labor projections for the meat department in order to maximize sales and profits; ensures department operations are within the labor percentage allowed.
- Monitors and controls all costs and expenses within the department; includes maintaining proper ordering, inventory control, cutting procedures, shrink, and ad displays.
- Manages the Meat Department staff including hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and initiating required performance reviews; ensures staff is trained on all policies and procedures.
- Oversees shift operations for department including writing, and/or approving work schedules.
- Ensures weekly flyer ads are in stock and ready for sale during business hours and that product for upcoming ads are ordered, in stock, and available for processing.
- Stocks meat cases; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Meat Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Ensures cleanliness of meat aisles, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Responds positively to customer's inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection while working the meat counter; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Monitors the rotation of all meat products paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Balances the meat general ledger and financial statements.
- Manages and is responsible for all inventory preparation and control; includes back stock, assuring tags match products, ensuring no out of stocks and accurate accounting for all products.
- Uses knowledge of scales, weight measures, and tares to accurately weigh and label meat products; includes packaging and wrapping product and following the proper dating procedures.
- Monitors that proper temperatures are being maintained at all stages during the production of meat and seafood items.
- Maintains proper safety practices and care while using all the cutting accessories available in the meat department; complies with the use of mesh gloves while using a knife.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years professional experience.
- Preferred 3-5 years grocery retail experience in Meat department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
- Journeyman cutter program completed.
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have advanced knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and interpret Company financial statements and results.
- Must have skills working with knives, tenderizers, grinders, and general meat machinery.
- Must have expert packaging and wrapping skills.
- Ability to cut and weigh various amounts of meat and seafood.
- Understands COOL compliance for seafood products; what country the various products are coming from.
- Sit Rarely 1-2 hours
- Stand Continuously 1-8 hours
- Walk Continuously 2-8 hours
- Drive Frequently 2-4 hours
- Balance Frequently 34-66%
- Bend Occasionally 1-33%
- Climb (2-6 ft) Occasionally 1-33%
- Crawl Occasionally 1-33%
- Crouch/Squat Occasionally 1-33%
- Kneel Occasionally 1-33%
- Reach (forward & overhead) Frequently 34-66%
- Twist (45 degrees at waist) Occasionally 1-33%
- 0-10 lbs. Occasionally 1-33%
- 11-25 lbs. Occasionally 1-33%
- 26-50 lbs. Occasionally 1-33%
- 51-100 lbs. Never 0%
- Right & Left Grasping Frequently 34-66%
- Fine Manipulation Occasionally 1-33%
- Pushing and Pulling Occasionally 1-33%
- Lower extremities Never 0%
About Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market:
- Inside - 90% Outside - 10%
- Some extreme temperatures are possible. Some ventilation and exhaust fans.
- Refrigerated and ambient environment 35 to 90 degrees
'Supermarket of the year in 2016' by Grocery Headquarters magazine.
Fresh Thyme Farmers Market is a full-service specialty retailer focusing on value-priced fresh, healthy, natural and organic offerings. We have opened up over 47 stores since 2013! Our stores boasts an extensive produce department with organic and local fruits and vegetables, a natural meat department, healthy deli foods to go, bakery goods, 300 bulk food bins, dairy and frozen, and health supplement products. At Fresh Thyme, we believe you shouldn't have to give away the farm to feed your body nutritious food. We're on a mission to improve the way our communities eat by offering fresh and healthy food at amazing values -all in a vibrant and fun shopping environment, with smiling friendly faces. Our stores don't follow traditional grocery store design, nor do they have tall aisles or glitzy fixtures. In fact, our stores are so simple and easy to navigate that we don't number our aisles or hand out store maps. We believe shopping for fresh and healthy food should be easy and enjoyable.
Please click on the short video hyperlink about Fresh Thyme and see what we're all about:
About Fresh Thyme Farmers Market
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. Disclosure Statement:Search Firm Representatives, please read carefully:Fresh Thyme is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Fresh Thyme via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Fresh Thyme in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of Fresh Thyme, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Fresh Thyme as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posting ID: 559412398Posted: 2020-06-03