Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse assists nurses and surgeons with the intraoperative care of the surgical patient.
UnityPoint Health - Trinity, in the Quad Cities, is a regional integrated health care delivery system including four full-service hospitals in Rock Island and Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf and Muscatine, Iowa with a total of 584 licensed inpatient beds. Trinity's hospitals, clinics, home health care agency, mental health center, health sciences college and residency program employ more than 3,000 employees. Together, we are working toward physician-driven, patient-centered care to achieve our vision of delivering the best outcome for every patient, every time.
The Quad Cities is a connected, creative and prosperous bi-state community on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The region is made up of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa - Moline, East Moline, and Rock island in Illinois - and other surrounding communities. The Quad Cities is a great place to live and work. It offers something for everyone including arts and culture, amazing festivals and events, innovative and superior schools and universities, and quality healthcare. The Quad Cities is a premier destination for young professionals and families and sits only hours away from Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines.
Responsibilities Clinical Care Support
Technical Care Support
- Assures correct identification of patient prior to procedure
- Assists circulating nurse with patient care
- Builds personal responsibility and accountability
- Demonstrates self-reliance and resourcefulness
- Maintains appropriate knowledge of instrumentation to effectively assist in surgical cases
- Takes appropriate measures to prevent unsafe actions or conditions from resulting in harm to self or others
- Reports accidents or injuries in a thorough and timely manner
Personal and Professional Commitment
- Prepares room for surgical case by getting necessary supplies/equipment
- Follows departmental plan for room prep and room turnaround
- Maintains sterile field throughout operative procedures
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Pursues opportunities for professional growth and development
- Follows safe operating procedures for the department and utilizes supplies in a cost effective manner.
- Reports for work in the proper physical, mental and emotional condition
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology. If not a graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology then equitable experience with documentation of similar training. Surgical technologist certification required; or obtained within 1 year of graduation or eligibility to sit for the exam. License(s)/Certification(s):
CPR certification required. Certified Surgical Techologist (CST) through NBSTA or Tech in Surgery-Certified (TS-C) by NCCT required; or obtained within 1 year of graduation or eligibility to sit the exam. Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
Must be able to read, write and follow written and oral instruction. Must have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients and staff. Must be able to set priorities and react rationally to situations. Surgical asepsis and infection control. Knowledge of surgical terminology be able to respond to emergency situations appropriately. Interact with all members of the surgical team. Knowledge of laser safety. Other:
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.