The Graduate Nurse (GN) is responsible for the provision of nursing care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Professional Nurse (RN)
. The GN applies the nursing process and performs delegated functions in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Health philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards. In collaboration with the patient and family, provides theory-based nursing care and coordinates care delivery with various members of the interdisciplinary team.
Graduate Nurse Opportunities are currently available in our MedStar Baltimore Hospitals in the following areas:
- Medical Surgical - Neuro Stroke Unit
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Unit
- Acute Rehabilitation (caring for patients who require acute rehabilitation for Cardiac, Stroke, Neuro and Ortho recovery)
- Perioperative - Orthopedic OR
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program is preferred. Associate degree in nursing is required.Experience:
No experience required. Prior experience as a licensed practical nurse, nursing assistant, nurse technician or nurse extern is preferred. Satisfactory reference from the school of nursing attended.License/Cert/Reg: Must secure an NCLEX test date within 30 days of hire and the test date is no longer than 120 days from date of hire.
: must stop practicing immediately as a GN if fails NCLEX licensure examination).Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Ability to perform nursing technologies under supervision. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress. Basic computer skills required.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
About MedStar Health
- Collaborates with the Registered Professional Nurse (RN) in the provision of safe and efficient nursing care to a designated caseload of patients. Assists in patient assessment and observation, and with the implementation of the patient's plan of care as delegated to by the RN.
- Confers with the RN in identifying patient care needs, supporting and preparing patient's admission, transfer or discharge. Provides relationship-based care that promotes consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care under supervision of the RN. Collaborates with other professionals and participates in the interdisciplinary care rounds.
- Obtains information from patient interview and observation; documents pertinent patient information including, but not limited to, vital signs, weights, heights and delegated patient care activities.
- Performs basic procedures and care activities including insertion and removal of nasogastric tube, tube feeding, wound care, dressing changes, suctioning, placement and removal of indwelling urinary catheter, monitoring of intake and output, blood glucose monitoring (point of care testing), maintenance of drainage devices, and performance of EKGs. Collects specimens including urine, stool, sputum, and blood.
- Provides respiratory therapy support including coughing, deep breathing and sets up oxygen equipment and observes pulse oximetry. Inserts peripheral intravenous catheter.
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, and other departments or associates to the RN. Responds to questions from patients, families and significant others in a prompt and courteous manner, referring them to appropriate personnel if necessary.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to personnel and department policies, procedures, quality and safety standards. Complies with regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, SPIRIT values, and patient care philosophy.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Posting ID: 559414181Posted: 2020-07-01