Job DescriptionJob Title:
STAT MedEvac Communications SpecialistJob ID:
200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh PA 15213 DescriptionUPMC's Center for Emergency Medicine is hiring a Full-Time Communications Specialist to support STAT MedEvac's Communications Center located at UPMC Presbyterian.If you have an EMS background and a passion for communications, this could be an excellent fit for you where you'd strengthen your medical knowledge and interpersonal skills. Purpose:
The Communications Specialist functions as a direct facilitator in processing and executing service requests for the STAT MedEvac system. Responsibilities include obtaining the appropriate information for service requests and providing any additional assistance necessary to meet the system's needs. The Communications Specialist functions as a part of the Communications Center and shares responsibility for working cooperatively with all team members. The Communications Specialist dispatches and communicates with all STAT MedEvac assets, maintains logs and records, and performs other duties as assigned. The individual supports and upholds the mission, goals, and objectives, of the STAT MedEvac system at all times.Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates skills, competencies, and judgment necessary to respond to requests by phone, radio or other appropriate communications methods.
- Demonstrate competency in successful use of attending physician
- Adheres to uniform policy and maintains a professional and neat appearance while working and representing STAT MedEvac.
- Performs all assigned duties, including daily, weekly, monthly, or other duties assigned by the Transport Coordinator, Communications Manager, or Director of Communications including (but not limited to): participating in shift report from off going crew, answering and responding to inquiries in a timely and efficient manner, reviewing STATCom procedures/ STATMedEvac Policies, and maintaining a clean workspace environment.
- Responds promptly and efficiently to requests for service (air and ground).
- Seek guidance from the Transport Coordinator as needed for unusual operational circumstances or guidance regarding policy decisions.
- Demonstrates proficiency of operation in all methods of communications including telephone, radio and e-mail.
- Documents unusual operational matters in the flight record and /or special report system as warranted.
- Participates in education and training sessions in a positive and constructive manner.
- Completes all official documentation in a timely manner such as payroll, expense reports, orientation forms, etc.
- Adheres to rules for scheduling, including schedule requests, minimum time, and availability.
- Demonstrates competency in assigning requests for service to the most appropriate patient transport mode (i.e., helicopter, fixed wing or ambulance).
- Contributes to safety through landing zone verification, following proper communication procedures and flight following.
- Utilizes appropriate safety channels to report safety concerns, and uses tools available to enhance a safe work environment.
- Reflects a positive attitude to the customer in a high stress environment at all times, with a clear understanding of who the customer is.
- Demonstrates the ability to establish a rapport with customers; including the ability to create and sustain a positive relationship; regardless of circumstances or environment.
- Reports for work well rested, and fit for duty.
- Adheres to the drug and alcohol policy at all times.
- Reports injuries and completes the appropriate documentation, no matter how minor, to a supervisor in a timely manner.
- Coordinate communications between transport teams, faculty physicians, referring and receiving hospitals.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Function as a resource for all new STATCom team members and actively participates in the development and training of new staff..
- Document and retrieve information / data on computer/network system including interventions, and other pertinent patient care information in a timely manner.
- Collects and promptly processes request information including demographics, medical necessity, and other necessary information.
- Participates constructively in the quality improvement program when requested.
- Demonstrate competency in resident dispatch response procedure and documentation.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Experience as an EMT or Paramedic with an EMS provider, with positive interpersonal communications skills.
- Must have the ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities, and operate a computer.
- Must be willing to work various shifts as assigned and be available for regular on-call shifts.
- Emergency operations center dispatch experience preferred.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/VeteranSalary Range:
- A current and valid EMT in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or NREMT certification required.
- A current and valid Paramedic in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or NREMT-P certification preferred.
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
$17.05 to $27.07 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Posting ID: 559414967Posted: 2020-06-03