Job DescriptionJob Title:
Patient Care Technician Ortho/SurgicalJob ID:
12 hour shiftsShift:
6 West Ortho/SurgLocation:
2775 Mosside Blvd, Monroeville PA 15146 DescriptionUPMC East is hiring a Full-Time Patient Care Tech to help support the Ortho/Surgical Department for its Monroeville location. This position will work rotating 12-hour shifts including weekends/holidays.Purpose:
Provides routine patient care and supports the department services in accordance with established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the nurse or physician to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care can be maintained at all times. Must routinely perform the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND at least 4 of the following hospital identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, or IV catheter removal.Responsibilities:
- Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living. Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND at least four of the following BU identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, or IV catheter removal.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments.Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance. Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team.Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions.Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.Supports department based projects and quality initiatives.
- Documents in the medical record according to established procedures. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)Act 34UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/VeteranSalary Range:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior nursing support experience preferred.
- Successful completion of basic information system training. Microcomputer experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
$14.36 to $21.90 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Posting ID: 559415211Posted: 2020-07-14