McLane Company, Inc. is one of the largest supply chain services leaders, providing grocery and foodservice supply chain solutions for convenience stores, mass merchants, drug stores and chain restaurants throughout the United States. McLane, through McLane Grocery and McLane Foodservice operates over 80 distribution centers across the U.S. and one of the nation's largest private fleets. The company buys, sells and delivers more than 50,000 different consumer products to nearly 110,000 locations across the U.S. In addition, McLane provides alcoholic beverage distribution through its wholly owned subsidiary, Empire Distributors, Inc. McLane is a wholly owned unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK) and employs more than 20,000 teammates.
Driver Job Description JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
A teammate in this position learns the essential functions of the Driver job including the accurate and timely distribution of products to various customer locations. The Driver Trainee gains exposure to warehouse and other operational functions as part of the developmental process of becoming a McLane Driver. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
A teammate in this phase of training will drive as a mentored driver and have various touchpoints with his or her supervisor to acquire the skills necessary to perform the following functions:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Maneuver tractor into position to attach trailer and handle lines to secure.
- Operates truck in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Inspect tractor-trailer equipment for defects pre/post trip and submit DOT inspection report indicating condition.
- Operates Driver Delivery Handheld (DDH), document delivery receipts/product temperatures and exceptions. Inspects trailer to ensure product is secure for undamaged transport of product.
- Rides and trains with Driver Trainer of tractor-trailer to various destinations, gaining knowledge of commercial driving regulations and observing the Driver's skill in starting engine properly, approaching intersections, making turns, backing, parking, and maneuvering vehicle on the road and on customer premises.
- Maintain driver log (Manual or PeopleNet) according to DOT regulations, documenting delivery receipt, product temperatures and exceptions.
- Assists the Driver in unloading trailer and delivering product into customer premises.
- Provides customer service including on-time delivery of undamaged product, product returns and issuing valid customer credits.
A teammate in this position must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Possess a Class A CDL.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- No DUI/DWI within past 5 years.
- Meet eligibility requirements in the McLane Transfer and Promotion Policy.
- Complete training and receive Class A CDL in 6 months or less.
- Have completed yard training and training routes.
- Ability and willingness to select/load/unload and/or deliver ALL products that may be ordered by McLane customers.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, climb, reach, bend, squat, and stoop to accomplish the essential job functions.
- Ability to read and comprehend labels, instructions, and bills of lading.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations to verify quantities of product.
- Strong communication skills and able to communicate with internal and external customers, such as customers, management, drivers and teammates.
- Be able to successfully pass a physical capabilities test, drug screen, and criminal background checks.
- Comply with Company Work Rules and Safety Rules.
- Able to safely drive a tractor-trailer, use a 2-wheeled dolly, ramp, and, on board PeopleNet devices.
- The environment encompasses all areas of a distribution center, transportation department, transportation shop and customer facilities.
- Working conditions could contain moderate noise, vibration of vehicle and extreme weather conditions depending on climate.
- Regular and frequent travel, including overnight.
------------------------------ McLANE BENEFITS
McLane offers competitive pay and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, STD/LTD and 401(k).
Candidates must pass a background check, drug screen and other job requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Posting ID: 559420218Posted: 2020-06-03