McLane Company, Inc. is one of the largest supply chain services leaders, providing grocery and foodservice supply chain solutions for convenience stores, mass merchants, drug stores and chain restaurants throughout the United States. McLane, through McLane Grocery and McLane Foodservice operates over 80 distribution centers across the U.S. and one of the nation's largest private fleets. The company buys, sells and delivers more than 50,000 different consumer products to nearly 110,000 locations across the U.S. In addition, McLane provides alcoholic beverage distribution through its wholly owned subsidiary, Empire Distributors, Inc. McLane is a wholly owned unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK) and employs more than 20,000 teammates.
Transportation Job Description JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining a smooth operation of the Transportation Department and helps provide 24 hours coverage. Provide general supervision of all transportation supervisors and functional processes within the department. Primary responsibility is to maintain a properly staffed and trained department that supports the warehousing function by offering the highest levels of logistics support. This position involves the planning, directing, and coordination of all delivery and backhaul activities. Must keep product moving smoothly, accurately, and efficiently. Must drive key performance indicators for cost savings, and maintain efficient utilization of manpower through proper scheduling and training to provide the highest levels of customer service at the store level. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned. A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Direct and motivate Teammates.
- Coordinate the investigation of accidents or unsafe conditions through the company safety department.
- Be responsible for compliance and knowledge with Federal Department of Transportation regulations and other safety standards. Maintain fleet in a safe manner in accordance with company and governmental standards.
- Ensure that routing parameters offer cost-effective solutions that will drive profitability.
- Manage and benchmark transportation aspects of profit and loss statement.
- Oversee all department re-bids and re-routes.
- Maintain effective and timely scheduling of Transportation Teammates and Management Staff.
- Facilitate communication within the management team and between the Teammates and management.
- Conduct scheduled performance reviews for all Management staff. Submit recommendations for salary adjustments.
- Provide training as needed to maintain an efficient and knowledgeable work force.
- Enforce general company policies and issuance of coaching/disciplinary documentation to teammates. All final written warnings and terminations will be presented and administered by this position with the approval of the General Manager and/or the Human Resources Manager.
- Assign accountability within staff to track and trend key performance indicators.
- Be able to interpret the Teammate Handbook.
- Have knowledge of backhaul and transfer procedures.
- Establish and provide departmental coverage and leadership and maintain the highest level of managerial professionalism at all times.
- Assist Warehouse leadership with resolution of issues between warehousing and distribution.
- Provide additional assistance with projects and other activities as assigned.
A teammate in this position must:
- Have a bachelor's degree in a related field is preferred.
- Have 3 - 5 years of experience in all facets of outbound transportation, preferably in the food service industry.
- Understand mainframe computer software relating to record keeping. Preferred experience on AS 400 Mainframe, Excel, Microsoft Word, and Access programs; People Net, Appian, TMW or similar programs.
- Be able to manage large numbers of staff with experience in hiring, training, motivating Teammates, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Be able to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and inter-company memos/outside correspondence.
- Have minimum of 2 years of accounting, planning, and analytical and/or reporting experience, in positions with increasing responsibility is preferred.
- Be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
- Be able to understand financial statements and resulting cost implications. Possess ability to identify financial issues and provide cost effective solutions to such issues.
- Be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, vendors, and teammates.
- Have strong analytical and communication skills with proven ability to work within the framework of the Team.
- Have knowledge of distribution systems to include order routing.
- Have an understanding of dispatch issues and procedures.
- Must be able to ascend and descend from a truck and truck ramp during route rides.
- The environment encompasses all areas of a Distribution Center.
- This position may require work in hot and cold temperature extremes and exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, noise, potentially harmful chemicals, solvents and components, and working in close to proximity to other teammates.
------------------------------ McLANE BENEFITS
McLane offers competitive pay and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, STD/LTD and 401(k).
Candidates must pass a background check, drug screen and other job requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.