GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Installs, calibrates, repairs and inspects medical equipment and solves moderately complex problems in the field. Performs repairs up to and including the diagnosis and repair of difficult technical problems. Participates in evaluations and installations of equipment. Provides information to develop procedures. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: The terms medical equipment and medical device may be either or all of electronic, mechanical and computer-based technologies for use in clinical or research applications and/or clinical facilities systems.
- Following departmental Medical Equipment Management Plan (MEMP) procedures, inspects newly acquired medical devices and systems for safety and function and attaches and assigns appropriate control numbers and labels to medical devices. Acquires the necessary information for accurate database inventory entry.
- Conducts complete performance assurance and electrical safety testing. Performs preventive/scheduled maintenance on medical devices as required. May provide information for the development of testing protocols.
- Responds to medical equipment problems in clinical areas or research areas; evaluates, troubleshoots and corrects problems up to and including those requiring rule-based trouble-shooting and a moderate level of diagnostic skill and having a moderate to high level of acuity and complexity. Determines the need to remove and/or replace malfunctioning medical devices from service and implements accordingly.
- Performs equipment repairs of substantial difficulty to a level requiring generic test instrumentation or diagnostic software, e.g., to board or component level for electrical devices.
- Participates in medical equipment evaluations, installations and upgrades, including software revision updates.
- Makes periodic rounds of assigned clinical areas to assess operation of medical devices and systems. Notes trends and works with Team Leader to develop and implement solutions to address recurring problems.
- Instructs clinical and technical staff and other support personnel on the operation, safe use, care and handling, and user maintenance procedures for medical equipment.
- Instructs department and other equipment technical staff on testing, calibration, preventive maintenance, basic trouble-shooting and repair of medical equipment.
- Using a computer database, thoroughly and accurately documents inspections, repairs, maintenance procedures, and training activities in a timely manner. Documents and maintains accurate and current inventory records of all replacement and repair parts.
- Attends and satisfactorily completes training courses on operating, testing, maintaining, and repairing medical devices or systems. Disseminates newly acquired knowledge to team members and department as appropriate. Uses this knowledge to suggest improvements to our procedures and systems for managing and maintaining medical equipment.
- Using data indicators, intuition, and/or other resources, helps to identify system, safety and quality problems, suggests solutions, and provides information that leads to change in department and on teams.
- Under supervision of an engineer or department leadership, may assist in investigations of clinical incidents involving medical equipment.
- Performs on-call function (schedule rotation) providing in-house repairs and assistance as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Associate's (AS) degree in Biomedical Equipment Technology or equivalent level of education or experience.
- One to two years related experience preferred.
- Must have competence in repair of mechanical, electro-mechanical, electronic, and/or computer medical technology to sufficiently diagnose and repair medical devices and systems.
- Interpersonal and communication skills to effectively work with team members and customers at all levels.
- Ability to perform testing and troubleshooting of medical devices involving specialized and generic test equipment and software diagnostic tools
- Understanding of electrical and mechanical biomedical safety principles.
Posting ID: 559420420Posted: 2020-06-03