This senior level position will perform a variety of duties that involve assisting physicians and nurses with the preparation of surgical equipment, direct assistance during operations, and scrub duties and responsibilities in the operating room. Functions as a member of the Perioperative team, transporting patients outside of the department. Maintains aseptic environment within the OR and PACU. Responsible for the care and maintenance of instruments and securing of necessary equipment, instruments and supplies for Perioperative procedures. Principal Accountabilities
- Performs rooming procedure in an efficient and professional manner; ensuring the patient and provider are fully prepared prior to entering the operating room. Assists team members with positing patients properly according to physician specifications. Indentifies patient with special needs and provides appropriate assistance. Arranges and inventories sterile set-up of surgical instruments according to scheduled operationPrepares case carts according to physician preference cards to include supplies and sutures.
- Assists senior team with surgical procedures.
- Indentifies and passes instruments to doctors and nurses during operation as needed
Maintains a clean and safe patient care environment, following infection control guidelines and unit policies.
- Provides support with post operative assistance. Assists with moving patients to after care support. Provides assistance wit clean up of operation room.
- Manages supplies and equipment checks package integrity and expiration dates. Replenishes supplies according to established par levels within the Surgery Center and Central Supply, including the Specialty carts. Assures that emergency instrument sets/case carts are available.Ensures instruments, supplies and equipment are in proper working order. Reports any irregularities of instruments, supplies or equipment in a timely manner. Rotates supplies according to dates.
- Follows the commitment to excellence and treats patients, families, visitors and each other with courtesy, dignity, respect and professionalism.
- Performs other duties as assigned my senior staff members
High School Diploma or Equivalent Ed/Ex. Current CPR/BLS Certification/AHA.
Meets all of the Tech I requirements. Five years surgical technology experience. Must be NBSTASA CertifiedSpecial Requirements:
Must demonstrate proficiency in at least8 of the 10 specified services: General Surgery, Orthopedics, Podiatry, ENT, EYE, Urology, GYN, Vascular, Lithotripsy or Plastics.
Demonstration of continuous learning as evidenced by obtaining certificaitons or a minimum of continuing education related to healthcare.
Must meet at least two
of the following additional requirements
1) Certification in a field related to surgical technology practice e.g. The American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians ( ASATT), Certified and Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST), Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS), Certified Endoscope Preprocessor (CER) or any other related certification
2) Regularly rotates to secondary roles as assigned e.g. sterile processing, patient transport, assist in PeriOp with room turnover and patient transport, anesthesia tech duties, materials management duties, etc
3) Functions in the role of trainer or preceptor for newly hired technologists existing techs in a new specialty or procedure
Surgical Technologist II must continue to meet the criteria for a level II technologist as outlined above or they will be dropped back down to level I at the time of annual performance review.Organization:
Palo Alto Medical FoundationEmployee Status:
10 Hour ShiftDays of the Week Scheduled:
Full TimeHrs Per 2wk Pay Period:
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans
This position may regularly work, store, prepare, receive, unpack, transport, dispose of, or administer drug(s) identified as hazardous, or potentially hazardous, by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) for purposes of USP 800.