Are you an ambitious, enthusiastic leader with a desire to guide teams in achieving established goals and is interested in producing good food, responsibly for families across America? Then join Smithfield Foods, a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer! For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business; overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan's Famous, and our other brands are known to possess.
Supervises production employees on assigned shifts to ensure production guidelines are being met within established timing, quality, and cost standards. Trains, directs, coaches and leads the production team in the day-to-day operations to meet production, safety and quality requirements. Drives the communication of production goals and objectives, as well as results in order to effectively motivate the team to maintain a high standard of product quality while maximizing plant efficiencies. Directs the routine maintenance and set up of machines, equipment, and facilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Performs daily walks and visual inspections of the Production floor in observation of unsafe acts or conditions; takes immediate corrective action where necessary.
- Maintains safety/environmental self-audits & visual checks, champions all safety or ergonomic activities for the department and helps to develop and meet plant safety goals.
- Maintain desired product quality and safety. Ensure all staff and employees know and understand the Food Safety plan and the Food Quality plan.
- Trains employees to ensure safe operating procedures are followed, including lock-out and tag-out.
- Adheres to product specification requirements throughout the manufacturing process to maintain the desired product quality results.
- Maintains adequate knowledge of products and equipment to ensure the ability to direct employees to perform the job properly.
- Ensures tasks are completed in accordance with HACCP and USDA regulations; taking corrective action when necessary.
- Walks the production floor daily and holds monthly line meetings to address questions and concerns.
- Maintain or exceed goals on yields and efficiencies.
- Works with the Operations Managers and/or Superintendents/Supervisors to maintain knowledge of yields and variances, methods of calculations, typical problem areas and methods for corrections and improvement.
- Suggests changes in work flow processes and use of equipment to increase efficiency of the department and/or production crew to maintain the lowest level of downtime and product costs possible.
- Traces and analyzes key product result measures for improvement opportunities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+ years of related experience and/or training in a Production environment; required.
- Bachelor's degree; preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP, Internet, Spreadsheet, Word and Order processing, and Inventory software, preferred.
- Previous food processing experience, supervisory experience, manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations procedures, preferred.
- Bilingual a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to lead problem solving and troubleshooting efforts associated with high-level process issues.
- Strong problem solving, math, and analytical skills.
- Ability motivate, train and coach employees to encourage optimum performance and engagement.
- Good planning and priority setting skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Ability to work in varying production environments (heat and cold).
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees on the Production Floor.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.