Job Description Technician, Welder-Chemical Maintenance (Aurora, North Carolina, U.S.A.)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up
and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world's largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future,
and grow your career.
This position reports directly to the Maintenance-Chemical Supervisor.What you will do:
What you will bring:
- Work safely to prevent on-the-job injuries by following Nutrien, OSHA, MSHA, and MARSEC guidelines
- Work in the central fabrication shop and various plant locations where welding is required
- Weld together metal components by using layout from blueprints, diagrams, and job packages and using proper welding procedures to complete the assigned work
- Weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead positions by using specific welding techniques such as Mig, Tig and Stick Welding
- Perform Shield-Metal Arc Welding (Stick Welding) by using proper grade welding rod, and grounding to work to complete weld
- Guide electrode or gun along weld line by maintaining length of arc and speed of movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle
- Manage the PSM reporting
- Conduct periodic inspections
- Maintain, and repair equipment and systems in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for the purpose of processing the highest quality acid and food safety product available to the market
- Utilize consumable supplies during repair activities to ensure they are used in the most cost effective manner
- Assist troubleshooting work-related problems by using established work methods to isolate concerns, and use proven repair techniques to complete work tasks
- Complete required training to keep current on Nutrien progression plan and shop certifications by managing and keeping track of training modules required for promotion
- Inspect each weld pass by visually checking weld proper penetration, porosity, undercut, cold lap, bead size, equal legs and that it meets specifications
- Verify position of metal components in assemble by using straightedge, combination square, calipers and rules
- Assist in fabricating metal production components by using cutting torch and welding equipment
- Cut metal plates or structural shapes by using plasma cutter, oxyacetylene, or grinder with cutting blade
- Assist in pipe fitting and bolting up flanges by using the proper techniques and tools to complete task
- Operate welding shop equipment to prepare components for welding such as shearing, breaking, punching, rolling and metal cold saw (Shop Welders Only)
- Repair broken parts by beveling, arch gouging and grinding to prepare surfaces for welding and completing repair
- Repair process components by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts by using cutting torch, straightening press, and hand tool
- Assist in completing hot work permitted tasks by acting as a fire watch, barricading access, fire control, and checking air quality
- Conduct repairs on assigned components, and to be familiar with all health and safety regulations before starting repairs
Are you a good match? Apply today!
- High school diploma or equivalent
- High school or postsecondary courses in mechanical drawing, mathematics, blueprint reading, computer programming, and electronics
- Knowledge of the details of Standard Maintenance Procedures, safety, and environmental procedures, production, and regulations are necessary to become a competent Mechanic
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges without being asked
- Adaptability and flexibility are requirements
- Ability to work 12-hour, rotating shifts
- Systematic procedural discipline, following a predetermined course of action for completing tasks, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and developing a team atmosphere to get things done
- Ability to handle conflict situations may be needed when dealing with production concerns related to downtimes.
- Ability to work well with others on the job by displaying a good attitude and leadership skills at all times
- Ability to talk, give and understand instructions while focusing on the primary task of welding
- Ability to wear required, company-provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)--i.e., uniforms, steel-toed boots, safety glasses, emergency breathing apparatus
- The National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) testing is required for all hourly applicants of Nutrien-Aurora and must be uploaded along with your resume during the application process to be considered for employment with Nutrien-Aurora
- Applicants must complete this test and meet a minimum of 4 in Graphic Literacy, 5 on Applied Mathematics and 5 on Workplace Documents in order to be considered eligible for employment with Nutrien.
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on:
LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran