The Picker is responsible for discarding or removing products and materials to ensure adherence to established specifications, while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. The Picker must be able to perform physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs, while climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling materials.
In this role, your main responsibilities will include:Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Equipment & Maintenance
- General clean up and yard maintenance including but not limited to digging, sweeping, maintenance of weeds and brush, and repaid of blacktop.
- Removal of non-metallic material, metal, and debris at the shredder and non-ferrous picking belts.
- Greasing and general cleanup at the shear and/or shredder.
- Assist with repairs and maintenance as required.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions for maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
Candidates must have the ability to carry out instructions provided in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Ability to learn new tasks as assigned required. Experience in a scrap yard preferred.PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.