Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 350,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments - student centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership and continuous learning.
An exciting opportunity to provide a significant positive impact on the future of the Chicago Public Schools students.In close partnership with related user departments and with a high level of autonomy, develops a professional approach for sourcing core school categories in order to generate significant savings while maintaining or improving the level of service. The Senior Category Buyer ensures that CPS is not exposed to undue risks due to non-compliance of supply flow, CPS responsibility, and ethical behavior. The Senior Category Buyer will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Works with the Category Manager to define a 3-year strategy for complex categories and is fully responsible for its execution.
- Works with clients to develop the sourcing plan: manages the process and provides advice on procurement type, appropriate contract length, bundling opportunities to senior management.
- Implements a tactical approach to sourcing in order to obtain the best value for money / lead negotiations for complex RFPs/RFQs.
- Analyzes final answers from potential vendors and provides recommendations based on cost/cash/quality and strategic fit criteria.
- Coordinates the sourcing process to finalize the vendor contractual agreement.
- Assesses and manages supplier performance for continuous improvement by leading supplier meetings.
- Develops collaboration with the vendor to drive cost saving through operational improvements in the supply chain.
- Takes a leading role in proposing and implementing improvement in CPS procurement processes.
- Develops and facilitates training for staff on CPS systems and procurement processes.
- Serves as a mentor to category buyers to help them develop their professional skills.
- Performs other duties as they might be assigned.
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Senior Category Buyer must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education Required:
- Bachelor's degree in business or other related field
Type of Experience and Number of Years:
- 2-4 years of professional experience, preferably in procurement in an academic setting, or a combination of education and procurement related experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel required)
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Action oriented
- Strong verbal and written communications skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with multiple departments, managers of the organization and external entities (vendors)
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Oracle experienced preferred
As a condition of employment with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), employees are required to live within the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago within six months of their CPS hire date and must maintain residency throughout their employment with the district.
Posting ID: 559537815Posted: 2020-06-04