Apogee Research brings cutting-edge research into practice for the DoD community. We blend agility with rigor to develop new technologies and transition them for operational use. Founded in 2012, Apogee Research brings together cross-discipline teams to solve difficult and often deemed impossible problems in cyber network operations and system-of-systems engineering. At Apogee Research we work hard, we get things done, and we do it together. Our best days are the ones on which we understand why we were wrong!
We currently have an opening for a Software Team Lead (full-time) located in our Arlington, VA office. Team Leads (and Managers) at Apogee are deeply technical, even if they aren't still hands-on, and enjoy helping their teams deliver production software that practically packages our research to address the technical needs of our customers. Our ideal candidate is experienced in leading teams to develop and deploy algorithmically complex software projects. All candidates must have or be eligible to obtain a DoD Top Secret Clearance, therefore all candidates must be a US Citizen to apply. A candidate that currently holds an active DoD Top Secret Clearance is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Effectively organize team sizes of 4 to 12 team members
- Guide team development efforts towards successful on-time project delivery through the strength of your technical arguments not the power of the position
- Work with system architects to understand the current set of functional capabilities and prioritize and scope new capabilities based on end user needs
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing disciplined development practices, including documentation and testing
- Manage preparation and delivery of releases, including development, documentation, testing
- Work with the principal investigator, program manager, and lead developers to plan the engineering roadmap
- Identify areas of improvements for development and release processes, develop metrics for measuring performance, and work with team to improve performance on identified metrics
- Analyze and resolve technical disputes, engaging the program manager or other senior project members when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, or related technical field and 10+ years of experience.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a US Government Security Clearance; therefore, any applicant MUST BE A US CITIZEN.
- Prior experience in a technical leadership position
- Experience in software engineering and development in Java or C/C++
- Proven experience delivering complex software systems on-time and on-budget
- Experience and/or familiarity with DevOps/DevSecOps, Continuous Development / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) concepts, and automated test tools such as Docker, Jenkins, JIRA, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, JUnit, JMeter, RSpec, Cucumber, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem solving and organizational skills
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and remain well organized in a fast-paced environment
About Apogee Research
Apogee Research focuses on bringing cutting-edge research into practice for the Intelligence and DoD communities. We have an active and dynamic research and development environment that provides opportunities to work on cutting edge projects for customers such as DARPA, primarily in the domains of cyber network operations and complexity management for mission capabilities. We take on high impact problems that require deep fundamental research coupled with disciplined engineering to solve, develop early prototypes to demonstrate feasibility, and work with our customers and end users to transition capabilities for operational use.
Led by Evan Fortunato Ph.D., we have grown steadily, receiving awards from organizations including SECAF and Arlington Economic and Development. While we appreciate these awards recognizing our financial stability and growth, our core mission is to create an environment where we can focus on solving hard and interesting problems with people we enjoy working with on a daily basis.
Apogee Research offers flexible work schedules and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, FSAs, paid vacation, sick leave, paternal leave, and paid holidays. Conveniently located in Arlington, VA, we are a short walking distance from the Ballston Metro station. We offer the choice of paid garage parking or a contribution towards a transit account.
Apogee Research, LLC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.