Overview Peninsula is division of Parkwest Medical Center Knoxville, TNRN-Pysch Services, Unit B-InsightFull Time, 72 Hours Per Pay Period, Day Shift
Unit B is an 87-bed unit, divided into two separate "Tracks." Track 1 is a 44-bed area that cares primarily for adult patients with mood disorders and/or chemical dependency issues. Track 2 is a 43-bed area that cares primarily for adult patients with thought disorders and/or chemical dependency issues. Unit B is a busy and exciting area to work where you will be exposed to patients dealing with a wide variety of psychiatric conditions. Staff may also work on other units in the hospital, offering the opportunity to work with many different types of patients. The care team consists of physicians, therapists, discharge planners, registered nurses, psychiatric technicians, and others who work together to develop a comprehensive treatment outline and care plan. We have a great team on the unit who all work together to provide excellent care for our patients in a safe, therapeutic environment.This unit creates a 6-week schedule which is released two weeks before the schedule starts. Staff preferences are considered and may be accommodated when they align with the overall staffing needs of the unit and facility. Position Summary:
Responsible for quality patient care by providing clinical direction as part of a patient care team and by using the nursing process in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the delivery of patient care.
- Provides proper supervision and guidance in the daily activities of the program as part of a patient care team.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and therapeutic patient environment as part of a patient care team.
- Demonstrates and maintains competence in therapeutic communication, supportive counseling, small group dynamics, scheduled activities, and the therapeutic milieu to manage the unit, to provide support and limits for the patients, and to carry out the Treatment Plan for each patient.
- Implements the use of restrictive measures with patients as necessary in collaboration with medical staff when least restrictive measures have failed and provides clinical supervision during the intervention.
- Assists in the training, orientation, and teaching of new staff members as directed by the Nurse Manager or Nurse Supervisor.
- Performs medication administration duties.
- Implements physician orders accurately and with proper documentation.
- Solicits administrative or medical consultation to assure quality patient care.
- Accesses emergency medical care for patients, provides a report to the Emergency Room, assures that a report from the Emergency Room is provided before the return of the patient, and facilitates the receipt of records. Provides for patient stabilization.
- Determines patient acuity and makes patient care assignments to appropriate nursing staff.
- Facilitates the admission process and discharge process and assures that all relevant information is comprehensive, accurate, and appropriately documented.
- May perform 24-hour chart reviews.
- Participates in the treatment team process by interacting with the multidisciplinary team of care providers.
- Applies Infection Control, Hospital Emergency, Hazardous Materials Management, and Patient/Proprietary Information Confidentiality policies.
- Advocates for the rights of the patients and is able to process patient complaints and concerns.
- Formulates nursing diagnosis (using NANDA taxonomy) and uses standard DSM IV classifications of mental disorders to express conclusions supported by the collection of data.
- Develops treatment plans with specific goals that are patient-centered, time-oriented, and measurable and that are unique to each patient's needs.
- Can perform ECG, VP, and Bedside Glucose Meter procedures.
- Understands and is familiar with all Hospital policies and procedures, especially those relevant to his/her respective program.
Qualifications Minimum Education:
A graduate of an accredited nursing school. Minimum Experience:
Previous experience in the practice of psychiatric nursing desired but not mandatory. Licensure Requirement:
Current licensure as a registered professional nurse in the State of Tennessee. CPR required.
Posting ID: 572627193Posted: 2020-12-17