Our associates celebrate lives. We celebrate our associates.
Consider the possibilities of joining a Great Place to Work!
Make removals of human remains from places of death. Embalm human remains, apply cosmetics to remains, dress remains, and place in casket for viewing, burial, or other final disposition.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Make first calls to secure the decedent and Death Certificate, and obtain permission to embalm.
- Embalm human remains following mortuary standard preservation procedures.
- Prepare human remains for viewing through the application of cosmetology, dressing the remains, and casketing.
- Perform mortuary support functions as directed by the Embalming Supervisor including cleaning of the preparation room and work areas.
- Answer phone calls, provide information or take appropriate action, and take messages.
- Assure that all work areas, working conditions, and work habits are performed in accordance with Company, state, and federal rules and regulations by understanding the importance of health and safety. Report unsafe conditions to management.
- Keep immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems and significant matters, and take prompt corrective action as needed.
- Participate in training and skill development opportunities to improve competency and customer service.
- Report to work on time and maintain standard attendance.
As an Individual Contributor, incumbent is expected to meet the Key Competency requirements of Open Communication, Building Relationships, Personal Leadership, Commitment to Quality, Business Focus, and Customer Focus. Meeting the behavior standards in each Competency links directly to the annual Performance Review.Experience and Education:
- Minimum of two years experience as an Apprentice Embalmer
- A.A. degree in Mortuary Science
- CA Embalmer's License
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Compassionate personality to relate with the bereaved
- Valid CA driver's license
- Drive Company vehicles
- Operate forklift and mortuary body lift
- Operate embalming machine
- Cosmetic application skills
- Current HBV vaccination
- Operate PC with MSOffice software and AS 400
Drive Company van to decedent's location of death to pick up the human remains and transport them to Rose Hills' Mortuary; move remains on cot from van into the mortuary; work in temperature controlled mortuary, preparation room, and embalming room with and around human remains, moving the remains on rolling tables from area to area, using safety precautions for protection from human diseases; work every day in the preparation room and the embalming room by following specific procedures to embalm human remains; must be flexible to work occasional overtime and outside of normally scheduled hours.Physical Requirements
Must be able to work every day on and around human remains; must be able to tolerate odors and fumes from remains and chemicals (such as formaldehyde, embalming fluid, cauterizing chemicals, and body fluids); odors, fumes, and dusting powders may cause discomfort and/or irritation to eyes and respiratory passages. Must have the physical ability to embalm up to eight bodies per day. Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull up to twenty (20) to thirty (30) bodies/caskets per day, weighing from 70# to 300#, and into and out of refrigerated storage; must have good driving record and be able to drive Company vehicles as needed; must be able to physically and emotionally handle the requirements of constantly being around and moving decedents in a temperature controlled environment. Must constantly think about and comply with health and safety regulations, and practice good hygiene. Hazard exposure: to human diseases, chemicals, sharps, and occasional low-level radioactivity (resulting from medical tests on bodies).Equipment / Machines Operated
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Impervious gloves, gown, shoe covers, face mask, face shield, hair covering
- Company vehicle
- Mortuary first call cot
- Roller tables
- Mortuary body lift
- Embalming machine
- Embalming fluids, chemicals, cosmetic kit
- PC with MSOffice software, AS400
Postal Code: 90601
Category (Portal Searching): Operations
Job Location: US-CA - WhittierReq ID:
Full timeWho we are. What we do.
We are North America's largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals, who proudly serve our community, provide caring assistance to families in need, and honor veterans and public servants.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one's life."SCI" refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliates.Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V