Performs cancer registry duties related to completion of abstracts for benign and malignant processes for the cancer database in compliance with the established standards of Commission on Cancer, Georgia Cancer Registry, and the Piedmont Cancer Committee.
1. Abstract cancer data Abstracts completely and accurately data on all reportable primary benign and malignant tumors according to the multiple primary and histology rules, utilizing the coding and staging systems as determined by the Commission on Cancer and/or the Georgia Comprehensive Cancer Registry and utilizing electronic medical records and other sources of diagnostic and treatment information, to document diagnosis, stage, extent of disease, treatment and outcome on each reportable cancer/benign case in timely manner.
a. Utilize comprehensive data set to be determined by the Commission on Cancer and/or the Georgia Cancer Registry.
b. Ensure abstract timely completion in accordance with the standards of the Commission on Cancer and Georgia Cancer Registry and ensure accurate abstracting by employing established edits and approved edit software prior to data submission to accrediting bodies.
c. Perform follow-up on any abstracted case as appropriate and establish follow-up letter sequence.
d. Maintain the data in the registry computer data system, conforming to the standards and requirements of the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer, the National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) and the Georgia Cancer Registry, while meeting the needs of the users of registry data.
2. Research missing information Collect all cancer-related treatment whether as inpatient or outpatient, in physician office or at/by outside facilities; update cancer registry database as needed. Review cases for completeness and determine need for adjuvant treatment information.
3. Perform case finding Perform case finding to identify reportable cases for abstracting purposes, utilizing multiple sources including electronic downloads based on ICD diagnostic codes and E-path reports, and other available methods. Review cases for potential subsequent primary cancer diagnoses and/or recurrent information.
4. Perform quality assurance duties Perform quality review of cancer registry abstracts and other quality improvement activities to determine completeness of treatment, collect and record any missing cancer-related treatment whether as inpatient or outpatient, in physician office or at/by outside facilities; update cancer registry database as needed.
5. Perform other duties as needed.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Previous registry or oncology-related experience strongly preferred.
CTR registration required.
Knowledge of database and record management, Microsoft Office word processing and graphics; knowledge of coding systems as required by cancer registry standards setters, including FORDS, Collaborative Staging, Multiple Primary & Histology Rules, ICD-O coding, AJCC TNM staging, SEER and EOD preferred. Strong communication skill, ability to work as a team player, and ability to work without direct supervision.
Posting ID: 575215875Posted: 2020-10-20