As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally and medically vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine.
The HARBORVIEW OPERATING ROOM BUSINESS OFFICE has an outstanding opportunity for a TEMPORARY/HOURLY OR BUSINESS OFFICE PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Day Shifts). The OR Business Office Program Coordinator will work with the Surgical Applications Manager to keep all database files current and serve as a resource to other staff working with computer systems. This is a multi-faceted position that heavily involves working knowledge of the HSM (Horizon Surgical Manager), HEMM (Horizon Enterprise Materials Management), PHS (Pathways Healthcare Scheduler) systems, and other Harborview computer programs. Depending on the staffing needs of the business office, the focus of this job could rotate between patient billing, case scheduling, or database editing.
• Act as a resource for others learning or with questions about patient billing, scheduling, and surgical databases.
• Provide input for evaluating effectiveness of OR procedures for billing, data entry, and surgical scheduling.
• Independently assist clerical support staff in keeping post-case data entry current.
• Identify database items needing updating and seek approval to do so.
• Proactively keep Surgical Applications Manager informed on all billing, database, and scheduling issues.
• Possess working knowledge of OR and MM computer systems.
• Meet deadlines and accurately perform patient billing.
• Make changes in the database as directed by the Surgical Applications Manager.
• Perform accurate post-case data entry into the HSM database as directed by the Surgical Applications Manager.
• Print database reports as requested.
• Work closely with RN 3's to keep procedure resource maps and item file current.
• Take lead in cost-containment and implementing cost-containment solutions in the unit.
• Take leadership role in unit or departmental committees and/or projects.
• Support/suggest process improvement as necessary.
• Train/teach job duties to new Program Coordinators as needed.
• Orient new staff to the role of Program Coordinator and scope of responsibilities.
• Develop organizational systems that other staff use to more efficiently take and distribute information.
• Direct calls to appropriate persons in a timely manner.
• Receive, record, and distribute accurate information to appropriate staff and managers.
• Be proficient at sending and receiving faxed messages.
• Remain current with billing practices and supply charging.
• Proficiency in word processing skills: MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher), Adobe Acrobat.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
High school graduation or equivalent AND two years of experience in the program specialty OR equivalent education/experience. Two (2) years of experience in medical scheduling or billing.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Posting ID: 575793654Posted: 2020-10-01