There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM's global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
In this software development role, you will be responsible for designing and developing enterprise software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard practices and in accordance with GM's preferred Agile software development project methodology. You will have the opportunity to work hands-on writing software or solutions, based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. Additionally, you will drive development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process. You will coach/mentor software developers and will review the software being developed. This role will also require strong collaboration with other development teams, architects and/or data scientists to ensure code alignment with design patterns/frameworks. About the team:
The Global Purchasing and Supply Chain IT team provides the technology innovation behind one of the world's largest digital supply chains, with a network of 182 plants, 650 logistics service providers and 3,100 suppliers to build 9 million vehicles and deliver to over 15,000 dealers worldwide. IT integrates the enterprise to make this happen. Our industry-leading team of analysts, developers, engineers, and architects develop, test, and deploy the technology that drives GM. This is an expansive team that is looking for a dynamic and critical team member. About the role and responsibilities:
The Senior Software Developer will work hands-on designing and writing code based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing applications to address a specific customer need or to solve a particular business or technical problem. This role will contribute to all development activities including sizing, design, coding, testing, certification, documentation and deployment, with strong foundation on DevOps practices . The Software Developer for should have a strong eye for UI/UX design patterns. This role will involve a great deal of creativity and initiative.
For this role you will be expected to have demonstrated success in software project delivery experience in leading technical efforts developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies:
- Demonstrate mastery of many programming languages, tools and/or technologies
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement
- Aggressively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Integrate software with existing software/systems
- Automates unit/end-to-end testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
- Strong Knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems. Dedicatedly engage in the remediation of software issues related to code/solutions quality and/or security
- Provides Level 3 support for applications in Production environment, working collaboratively with other groups such as Infrastructure
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced software developers and other team members
- Possess technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems and ensure that technical documentation meets GM standards
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture.
- Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Coding, unit testing and debugging applications in different software languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides meet requirements
- Integrate software with new or existing systems
- Implement CI/CD pipelines
- Maintain standards compliance
- Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues such as code quality, pattern mismatch, and security issues related to the code/configuration
- Automate unit/end-to-end testing of software systems within domain, focused on software quality and maintainability (automated unit test scripts as part of coding and development of multi-layer automated testing approach)
- Ensure that designed and developed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security across domain area.
Additional Job DescriptionMinimum Qualifications:
- Extensive UI/UX Design and Development experience with Angular framework
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a developer designing and developing complex enterprise systems
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a UI/UX developer
- Full Stack development experience
- Languages/Frameworks: Angular, Java, SpringBoot, Sring MVC
- Databases: PostgreSQL. Oracle
- Platforms and Web Application servers: Pivotal CLoud Foundry (PCF), Tomcat, TomEE
- Methodologies: Agile, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Hands-on experience refactoring applications to more modern technologies and frameworks
- Experience with RESTful APIs and webservices integration (JSON, SOAP)
- Experience building software-as-a-service applications following 12-factor software development methodology
- Experience with code collaboration platforms such as Microsoft Azure/TFS and Bitbucket/Git, submitting/reviewing/approving Pull Requests/Merge Requests
- Expertise leveraging Object Oriented Programming methodologies and design patterns including domain-driven design, microservices and cloud design patterns
- Experience creating self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components in frontend and backend work
- Ability to optimize the performance of code
- Expertise in end-to-end applications hosted on PCF, or other PaaS environment and Kubernetes with a focus on scalability, high availability, and fault tolerance
- Knowledge of database modeling and data structure principles, techniques and best practices.
- Experience with resilient application design and secure coding practices
- Experience implementing domain driven design using test-driven (TDD) or behavior-driven (BDD) development
- Expert knowledge of standard development tools.
- Understands code quality analysis results and remediation mechanisms
- Understands security risks for applications and code remediation techniques
- Creative problem-solving skills that deliver elegant solutions to complex issues
- Possess excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal and written communication.
- Strong teamwork focus and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience in Information Technology, Business Computing or related field Experience with Order Fulfillment or other functions in Supply Chain business domain
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.