There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM's global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
-Are you searching for a unique position that we will not only work hands-on writing software or solutions but will drive the underlying design and architecture supporting those solutions? This exciting opportunity will give to all development activities that align with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process.
- You will advise software developers and will approve the software being developed and deployed in their domain.
- Full lifecycle System development using standard design patterns/frameworks.
- You will experience designing software or solution architecture in accordance with GM standards and industry standard methodologies
You will be required to have broad software project delivery experience in leading technical efforts developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies
- Demonstrate mastery of numerous programming languages, tools and/or technologies
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement, automation technologies
- Proactively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Design Integration Solutions or Integrate software with existing software/systems
- Automates unit/end-to-end testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
- Experienced knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems. Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Provides technical guidance and mentoring of fellow software developers and other team members
- Possess technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems and ensure compliance
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standard methodology
- Provides mentorship, coaching and/or training to others as appropriate. Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and crafts a winning culture.
-This role will also have direct responsibility for or will work closely with architects and/or data scientists to ensure code alignment with design
Additional Job Description
- Experience in managing highly technical team and capability to provide technical direction in terms of design and implementation and align with strategic plans and initiatives
- Demonstrated knowledge in multiple software development disciplines (i.e. Agile, Scrum, SDLC)
- Experience with high throughput messaging systems (Apache Kafka)
- Experience with modern web technologies and frameworks (Node.js, React, Spring Boot, Electron)
- Required strong technical leader, especially in the domain knowledge of diagnostics and vehicle communications (embedded experience is a big plus)
- Expert knowledge of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, systems security technology,Business Analysis principles, Business Process Management technologies, Multi-threaded programming, Design Patterns (especially MVC, MVP and MVVM), Application Frameworks
- Robust multi-year experienced based knowledge and ability to apply the principles of application or infrastructure architectures, including the distinction between contextual, conceptual, logical and physical layers. Subject matter expertise across applications, data, database, middleware, mainframe and midrange server computing, network (Intranet/Extranet/Internet), security, and client platform (Including mobile) IT products and services.
- Ability to work constructively as an individual or in groups with minimal supervision. Understands and can apply software engineering and application development methodologies in a complex multi-project environment.
- At least 15 years' experience writing Java/J2EE, .NET, or SOA code and leading large development teams
- Vehicle communication protocols
- Embedded device development
- A strong balance of leadership, business acumen and technical skills
- Extensive experience with various development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall, etc.)
- Experience in attracting the best talent and managing teams of high-performance developers.
- Experience is crafting detailed design specifications as well as test plans for unit and integration testing
- A bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.