Covance is currently seeking a Senior Clinical Veterinarian to join their team based in Somerset, NJ. Reporting to the Director, Animal Welfare and Veterinary Services, the incumbent will provide veterinary health care for laboratory animals, give advice regarding the care and maintenance of laboratory animals, and provide training for technicians. To monitor animal health and welfare in compliance with applicable animal welfare regulations and help maintain facilities for AAALAC accreditation.
- Provide laboratory animal medical and surgical care by examination, treatment and advice to ensure adequate and humane veterinary support, at an independent, senior level.
- Assist program director to ensure that company policies and practices regarding animal care and welfare are in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Assist in training of staff
- Assist with animal welfare-related regulatory/administrative duties [e.g., compliance with USDA, Home Office,(etc.) regulations and standards, AAALAC, client visits]
- Serve on the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, as needed.
- Perform physical examinations of laboratory animals as indicated in protocols and SOP.
- Perform ophthalmic or other veterinary examinations on laboratory animals.
- Provide scientific expertise on animal health, biology, physiology, and research methodology to staff scientists and technicians.
- Attend scientific meetings and provide leadership in scientific organizations, including attaining peer recognition through publications and/or presentations that contribute to the field of Laboratory Animal Medicine.
- Report all animal care concerns and become involved in the resolution and appropriate corrective action, when necessary.
- Function as leader of a specialty area (e.g., anesthesia or ocular clinical leader).
- Lead and complete team projects, as assigned.
- Mentor junior veterinarians and/or technicians.
- Graduate of AVMA accredited veterinary school or equivalent
- Must have a veterinary license in at least one state and ability to obtain a license and USDA accreditation in New Jersey within 6 months
- Board certification or eligibility for board certification in the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine highly preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in laboratory animal medicine
- Clinical industry experience is highly preferred
- Leadership experience leading managers and teams
- Knowledge of small and large animals used in research
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting with laboratory animals
Posting ID: 584170991Posted: 2020-12-05