The Assistant Safety Manager is responsible for assisting the Plant Safety Manager in promoting a healthy and safe workplace at the designated facility. These duties will be accomplished by providing technical expertise to the plant safety and health teams, providing training on safety and health topics, and promoting active employee involvement in the safety process.
Core Responsibilities Safety Audits
Safety & Management Advisor
- Performs documented safety tours and reports findings to the facility management.
- Performs audits of written program compliance and team activities.
- Conducts inspections of facility equipment and processes for potential safety and health hazards.
- Identifies potential hazards to people, processes or property and recommends corrective action to facility management.
- Audits outside contractor activity.
- Supports safety programs to ensure Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance.
- Analyzes statistical data from injury/illness/loss reports and applies appropriate risk management process controls.
Administrative Documentation and Organization
- Attends plant safety team meetings.
- Monitors safety and health team performance and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Provides technical expertise and support to safety team.
- Acts as a liaison between team members and management staff as needed.
Safety & Risk Management Documentation & Training
- Ensures training and documentation is maintained with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures supervisory personnel are aware of employee restrictions due to work-related injury or illness and that employees are working within those restrictions.
- Participates in accident investigation process.
OSHA Compliance Sampling
- Conducts safety and risk management portion of employee orientation and training.
- Prepares written safety meeting documentation for supervisory use.
- Ensures written programs and policies and work practices are in compliance with applicable regulatory agencies.
- Ensures training materials are current and comply with OSHA requirements.
- Collects industrial hygiene samples to ensure OSHA compliance as needed.
- Assists with sample interpretation and recommendations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Completes special projects and initiatives to work on independently and presents findings to the plant management and/or corporate management.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a safety or related technical field and 3+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Prior leadership or mentoring experience, preferred.
- CPR/First Aid certified, preferred.
- OSHA 40 hour Industrial Construction, preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to travel on an occasional basis.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly " and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield , Eckrich and Nathan's Famous , among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.