L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers' mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers' mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Description: Job Title - Scientist, Systems Engineer
Job Location - Rochester, NY
Job ID - CS20201311-53098Job Description:
The Chief Systems Engineer (CSE) will lead technical concept development and architecture designs for Tactical Communication products and will interact with both internal and external customers. The candidate will be required to provide technical support to Business Development teams and Product Development teams. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, coupled with the ability work within a large engineering team are required. The successful candidate must be able to describe complex system solutions to audiences of varying technical backgrounds and establish support/enthusiasm for a proposed solution.
This role requires strong leadership and teamwork skills. The candidate will be expected to lead technology initiatives beyond their own core technical specialty, relying on team members from other specific disciplines as required.
The candidate will also work collaboratively across the engineering organization to focus on the Requirements Management, Technical Baseline Creation, Review and Approval, Technical Roadmap Creation and aspects of System Engineering process compliance including, but not limited to, process artifact review and approval and Risk Management/Analysis. The CSE will partner closely with Business Development teams, Engineering Project teams and Engineering Discipline Team leads to ensure consistent strategy, direction, and alignment with the Segment Strategic Growth plan (SGP).Essential Functions:
- Perform system design activities for Communication Products and Systems of Products.
- Serve as the primary technical point-of-contact for a product family, relying on engineers from specific disciplines as required.
- Preparing and conducting technical briefings.
- Preparing for and participating in technical baseline reviews.
- The ability to assess and report technical project status, risks and issues.
- Provide cross-functional technical and process leadership in the execution of multiple IRAD and Program funded projects.
- Oversee product development technical activities to assure designs are technically sound, and meet system level requirements.
- Prepare systems requirements, design reviews and documentation per standard development processes.
- Collaborate with other design teams, test, manufacturing, product service, program and product management, and external customers to execute radio product development projects and deliver high-quality system solutions.
- Support front end business development activities including planning, customer visits, technical briefings, and proposal developments.
- The ability to draw on internal resources to generate accurate estimates for NRE and recurring costs.
- The ability to provide short-term technical support to internal and external customers when necessary.
- Engagement in project post-mortem reviews in order to assess future process improvements.
- The ability to complete assignments on a self-directed basis with only high-level direction provided at the start of tasking.
- Establish strategic working relationships with engineering project managers as well as functional teams and technical leads.
- Provide leadership in the development of technical staff through strategic hiring, mentoring, and training.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Bachelors in Electrical or Computer Engineering (BSEE or BSCE) with 12 years of relevant experience in systems engineering or product design engineering or Masters in Electrical or Computer Engineering (MSEE or MSCE) with 10 years of relevant experience
- Ability to partner with stake holders and team leaders to identify needs and develop marketable Tactical Communication System solutions which provide customer value.
- Proven and effective communications skills, interpersonal skills and customer focus are a must
- Active US DoD Secret Clearance or Ability to obtain a US DoD Secret Clearance
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your rsum for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your rsum, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.