The Cook position prepares and cooks soups, meats, vegetables, desserts or other food items to restaurant quality in a high volume, fast paced hospital kitchen environment. This position is located in Dillingham, AK, working at Kanakanak Hospital. **This position is located in Dillingham, AK. Interested candidates must be living in, or willing to relocate to, Dillingham, AK.**
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all main line food production duties with specific items determined by assigned shift.
- Prepares food as indicated by par level sheets and in accordance with both Nutritional Services and Health Department standards.
- Ability to work independently with very little oversight.
- Reviews the needs of the day with assigned supervisor(s).
- Is responsible for quantity and quality control in food production as well as overall sanitation of assigned area.
- Attractively presents all items with appropriate garnish and correct portion size.
- Follows all food service safety protocol, temp logs, and sanitation logs.
- Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure quality presentation and sanitation.
- May be required to place orders or check in freight.
- Neat and clean personal appearance.
- Follows dress code according to departments policies.
- Assists other food service personnel.
- Actively supports and participates in performance improvement activities.
- Assists coworkers during staffing shortages.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the department or unit's success also may be assigned.
- Must have a High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have an Alaska Food Handler's Card and ServSafe contingent upon 30 days of hire.
- Must have one (1) year of work experience or documented vocational training sufficient to demonstrate a knowledge of cleaning equipment, food preparation, and general cleaning processes or a suitability for this type of work.
- Able to follow standardized written recipes.
- Proficient in using the following equipment: Steam tables, dish machine, trash carts, knives, ovens, slicers, mixers, grill, grinder, fryer, broiler, Flat Tops, counter mixer, roasting ovens and kettle.
- Must pass a fingerprinting background investigation that complies with The Crime Control Act, Child Care Worker Act and the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act.
- Contract requires employees to speak, understand, read and write English.
- Proof of immunization for TB, and any other immunizations and screenings designated for this contract.
- Contract requires candidate to get a flu shot pre-hire and annually thereafter.
- Contractor may be required to maintain all employee health records on site.
An individual is ineligible to work in any position that has Regular Contact with or Control over Children, Dependent Adults or Vulnerable Persons if the individual has been convicted of:
- One or more felonies and/or two or more misdemeanors of Crimes Against Persons and/or Crimes of Violence.
- Any Crime against a Child, Dependent Adult or Vulnerable person, regardless of its classification as a felony, misdemeanor, or other type of offense.
- Any Sex Crime, regardless of its classification as a felony, misdemeanor, or other type of offense.
- Previous food service or hospitality industry experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Weather: Indoors: environmentally controlled; requires most or all work to be done inside.
Noise level: Moderate
Description of environment: This is an industrial hospital kitchen located in a healthcare setting.
Physical requirements: Employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
Competencies NMS Core Values
Safety guides our behavior.
Honesty and integrity govern our activities.
Commitments made will be fulfilled.
All individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
The environment will be protected and sustained.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
NMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran protected status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is NMS policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements. Accommodation Request
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000
To request an accommodation by email, contact us at email@example.com