This Sous Chef position is responsible for the preparation, production, and presentation of a variety of foods, completion of production sheets and with other associated food service activities for hospital kitchen. This position is in Dillingham, AK, working at Kanakanak Hospital. **This is a rotational position in Dillingham, AK. The rotation schedule will be 4-weeks on and 4-weeks off. Lodging and three meals per day is provided. The point of hire origin is Anchorage, AK.***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all main line food production duties.
- Prepares food as indicated by par level sheets and in accordance with both Nutritional Services and Health Department standards.
- Reviews the needs of the day with assigned supervisor(s), completes production sheets and verifies supply needs and availability.
- Assists supervisors with menu and recipe development.
- Is responsible for quantity and quality control in food production as well as overall sanitation of assigned areas.
- Performs pre-service meetings with team and completes production process by inputting post production numbers in FMS.
- Assists in the supervision and training of food service personnel.
- Arranges for food service workers to complete smaller item preparation.
- Oversees food serving lines and coffee bars, ensuring food items are properly stocked.
- Observes and instructs others on the proper rotation (FIFO) procedures to be followed for all food related items.
- Performs pre-service meetings with food service staff before assigned shift.
- Follows all Food Safety Standards (HACCP).
- Completes all freezer, cooler and warming temperature and sanitation logs.
- Supports an active safety program.
- Follows uniform standards according to department policies.
- Assists other food service personnel at any given time.
- This position is responsible for the supervision of staff.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the department or unit's success also may be assigned.
- Must have High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have Alaska Food Handlers Card or ServSafe certification contingent upon 30 days of hire.
- Must have at least two (2) years of Sous Chef experience working in a commercial kitchen food service operation, restaurant, hotel or hospital with significant supervisory responsibilities.
- Able to follow standardized written recipes.
- Proficient in using the following equipment: steam tables, dish machine, trash carts, knives, ovens, slicers, mixers, grill, grinder, fryer, broiler, flat tops, counter mixer, roasting ovens and kettle.
- Must pass a fingerprinting background investigation that complies with The Crime Control Act, Child Care Worker Act and the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act.
- Proof of immunization for TB, and any other immunizations and screenings designated for this contract.
- Contract requires candidate to get a flu shot pre-hire and annually thereafter.
- Contract requires employees to speak, understand, read and write English.
An individual is ineligible to work in any position that has Regular Contact with or Control over Children, Dependent Adults or Vulnerable Persons if the individual has been convicted of:
- One or more felonies and/or two or more misdemeanors of Crimes Against Persons and/or Crimes of Violence.
- Any Crime against a Child, Dependent Adult or Vulnerable person, regardless of its classification as a felony, misdemeanor, or other type of offense.
- Any Sex Crime, regardless of its classification as a felony, misdemeanor, or other type of offense.
- Three (3) years of direct food preparation experience.
- Cafeteria dining or healthcare experience.
- A valid Driver's License and an acceptable driving record for the past three (3) years to be eligible under NMS' vehicle insurance policy.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Weather: Indoors: environmentally controlled; requires most or all work to be done inside.
Noise level: Moderate
Description of environment: This is an industrial hospital kitchen located in a healthcare setting.
Physical requirements: Employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
Competencies NMS Core Values
Safety guides our behavior.
Honesty and integrity govern our activities.
Commitments made will be fulfilled.
All individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
The environment will be protected and sustained.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
NMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran protected status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is NMS policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements. Accommodation Request
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000
To request an accommodation by email, contact us at email@example.com