Core Laboratory - SpringfieldShift
Part-time Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
Supports overall laboratory operations by performing the duties of receptionist, patient and/or specimen collection and registration to include; test ordering, billing, verifying medical necessity and preparation for mailing of laboratory test results. Must be able to perform all phlebotomy skills listed in Laboratory Phlebotomy Procedure Manual.
Education & Requirements:
- Demonstrate appropriate competencies for customers (patients) in the age range neonatal through geriatric. Greet patients in a courteous and professional manner. Demonstrate appropriate behavior in all customer servicerelationships.
- Able to use the STAR system to register all lab patients (i.e., SET, NC or Contract accounts) Demonstrates the appropriate competencies for the PCA medical necessity process for each patient who carries traditional Medicare/Medicaid insurance. Registers and scans all patient information (valid order, photo id, insurance cards, etc.) in the STAR system for billing. Accurately and promptly files doctors orders and retrieves on demand. Knows policies and procedures for obtaining records and results for outside retrospective audits. Assists with record maintenance required for facilities with attention to detail.
- Provide electronic transmission of reports as requested. Demonstrate the ability to provide confidential patient information verbally to physicians, physician offices, and nursing services as requested.
- Maintains required records and supplies. Pick up laboratory incoming mail for distribution to lab staff. Pick up laboratory outgoing mail for distribution to postal services.
- Identify problems and obtain approval to apply appropriate action for issues affecting patient accounts. Collect data to assist in identifying measures of performance to monitor and find opportunities for improvement. Perform basic troubleshooting and ensure that remedial actions have corrected problems.
- Accept responsibility for work produced. Demonstrate an interest in solving problems that arise that are related to the routine workload. Make decisions related to work assignments in a manner consistent with his or her level of education, training, and experience.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge regarding medical necessity as related to compliance and billing (PCA). Demonstrate knowledge regarding the Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act (HIPPA) as is applicable to the performance of job duties. Demonstrate basic knowledge of the following laboratory regulatory agencies: College of American Pathologists (CAP), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act, 1988 (CLIA '88), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
- Demonstrates appropriate computer skills required performing the various functions related to specimen collection and processing. Demonstrates proper collection with the LIS handheld devices for specimen collection. Has knowledge of all functions from this device and can troubleshoot when necessary. Demonstrates appropriate computer skills required when system alerts are announced by the IS Department. Demonstrates the knowledge of the different downtime definitions and procedures and has the ability to respond to them.
- 100% correct identification of patients consistently using the 2-step patient ID method. Identifies inpatients and outpatients according to policy. Verifies patients' meet special preparation requirements (i.e. fasting) before blood draw or other collection. Accurately and properly labels tubes and containers with patient ID. Responsible for making sure that this is followed by all employees assigned to those work areas.
- Abides by Patient Interaction and Patient Contact policies. Provides privacy to patient and maintains confidentiality of information. Promptly and properly answers phone according to policy. Properly handles phone requests.
- Properly performs phlebotomy procedure with special consideration to safety and aseptic technique. Draws blood from patient demonstrating consideration of special needs and/or behavior relevant to age specificity. Checks puncture site for excessive bleeding and hematoma development before leaving patient. All phlebotomy materials are removed from patient bedside or chair. Can collect blood from patients of all ages.
- Promotes and maintains a safe work environment with special consideration for cleanliness and organization. Abides by safety policies. Promptly reports blood and body fluid exposures. Disposes of biohazard materials in an appropriate manner. Cleans and disinfects work areas.
- All other duties as assigned
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATIONS(must be non-expired/active unless otherwise stated):
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma/GED
- Minimum of 6 month of experience in a related position.
- Skills for clerical duties and reception shall be required to be demonstrated.
- Skills in customer service and problem resolution are required.
- Phlebotomy skills preferred.
PRN, 0.01 hrs/wk
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We'll also reward your hard work with:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Core Laboratory - Springfield All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you'd like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for
Mercy Health - Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia,which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please firstname.lastname@example.org.If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team email@example.com
Posting ID: 588107456Posted: 2020-11-19