CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process. JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:We welcome applications from candidates interesting in telecommuting
The University Libraries is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated software developer with a passion for front-end development. The Libraries values diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and people, and is actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. We encourage candidates to apply who thrive in a welcoming, multicultural environment. More information on Penn State's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence, can be found by visiting http://equity.psu.edu/psu-diversity-statement. For additional information about the Libraries' diversity efforts, please visit https://libraries.psu.edu/about/diversity.
This is an opportunity to be an integral member of a high performing, agile team, that wants you to lead our front-end development efforts and is happy to help you along the way. We develop and maintain systems and services that support the mission of discovery, access, and preservation for the Libraries, including solutions for digital library collections, scholarly communications, electronic record archiving, and research data.
- Be a positive influence on the team, collaborating proactively with team members, and sharing knowledge across multiple projects
- Create, and improve existing web User Interfaces delivering
- Contribute to full-stack software development with an emphasis on front-end work
- Utilize front end design patterns and UI frameworks to create optimal solutions
- Connect with established open-source communities, such as the Rails, Samvera, and Blacklight communities, and leverage collective strengths
- Receive support for professional development and skill advancement in the form of training, facilitated code sprints, and conference participation
- Strong analytical and developer skills
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and as a member of open-source communities
- Familiarity with web accessibility guidelines and standards
- Experience with MVC frameworks like Rails or Django
- Knowledge of distributed version control systems (e.g., Git) and branching workflows
- Familiarity with command-line environments and web architecture (REST)
- Experience with CMS platforms like Drupal
- Experience with package management tools
- Experience with asset bundlers like Webpack
Typically requires 4+ years related experience, Bachelor's Degree or higher, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO is the Law
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Penn State Policies
University Park, PA