- Oversees the operations of the MedSTAR Advanced Life Support (ALS) program. Supervises ALS Paramedics and EMT Drivers involved in the transport environment. Performs in the role of Paramedic and EMT driver on a weekly basis in addition to other duties. Oversees the maintenance and replacement planning of the MedSTAR ambulance fleet.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Associate's degree required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3 years of progressively more responsible job related experience as a Paramedic as well as experience indicating the ability to perform in a supervisory capacity.
- Current credential as National Registered Paramedic. National Registry Paramedic, Maryland Paramedic Certification, Advanced Life Support (ACLS), Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS), and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). District of Columbia Paramedic certification within 30 days of hire. Current Unrestricted Class C Drivers License. No current points assigned to drivers license and must maintain a good driving record.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to exercise independent judgment. Business acumen and leadership skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively interact with all levels of management, internal departments and external agencies.
About MedStar Health
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Oversees ALS Paramedics and EMT drivers schedules to ensure that staffing is sufficient to cover the 24/7 needs of the MedSTAR departments and their patients. Hires, evaluates, and as necessary disciplines/terminates associates.
- Coordinates subordinates' activities within the Hospital and MedStar Health to ensure smooth transition of care. Works with other departments/entities to ensure continuum of care is maintained.
- Participates in the development of department goals/objectives. Recommends changes to improve service/costs, (including equipment) as appropriate, to management. Coordinates/ implements changes as approved.
- Collaborates with physician/nursing management personnel on the development and continuous improvement of quality controls and standards.
- Maintains direct involvement in the departmental Safety Management Plan. Attends monthly base site and quarterly departmental safety meetings. Provides follow up and closure of Safety QMI's.
- Orders supplies for area(s) of responsibility including medications.
- Works with hospital based pharmacies for the appropriate management of controlled substances.
- Ensures staff compliance with CAMTS, JCAHO, departmental, Hospital and jurisdictional regulations.
- Performs as a Paramedic and EMT Driver as necessary and on a weekly basis.
- Assures MedSTAR transport fleet is ready at all times by establishing and coordinating the execution of a preventive maintenance schedule utilizing MedStar Health approved vendors for vehicles and medical equipment/supplies. Assures daily safety inspections are completed of both the vehicle and patient care equipment and supplies.
- Responsible for unscheduled service requirements of ambulances including provisions for towing.
- Makes sure ambulances are prepared and maintained according to state and CAMTS requirements. Responsible for ground vehicle licensing.
- Maintains current knowledge of technical and business developments related to assigned programs and communicates relevant information to subordinates. Attends relevant state ground transport committee meetings.
- Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Posting ID: 593237950Posted: 2021-04-21Job Title: Manager