The Patient Observer provides constant observation, to ensure a safe and comfortable environment, for patients identified as a risk to themselves or others. The Patient Observer functions under the direction of the Registered Nurse and is responsible for providing specific care-related tasks in accordance with the individual needs of the patient, maintaining patient confidentiality and information at all times. All nursing care is provided by the nursing staff. When not observing patients, the Patient Observer/Safety Aide may be asked to provide other ancillary activities.Essential Responsibilities:
- Assures a safe care environment for assigned patients and notifies RN of any concerns.
- Receives nursing handoff at beginning of shift regarding reason for observation with specific important information. Provides/Receives handoffs to/from Observer and RN with each change of observer and RN.
- Observes patient for obvious changes in behavior and conditions including attempts to leave the ED/or patient unit and notifies responsible RN.
- Completes appropriate documentation.
- Alerts the appropriate RN to assist when call light is triggered.
- Completes required annual education and other trainings as assigned within established deadlines.
- Must maintain active Basic Life Support (BLS) certification at all times.
- Completes other duties as assigned, appropriate to the incumbent.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required., and If not currently BLS certified, must be willing to complete within 30 days of hire date.
- 0-1 years related work experience required in healthcare or home care preferred. Equivalent related work experience may be substituted for High School Diploma and/or GED requirement..
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Equivalent related work experience may be substituted for High School Diploma and/or GED requirement.
Age based Competencies:
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campusReq ID
Patient Observer-Safety AideState / Province
Massachusetts Work Schedule
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58-bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.Zip Code
Part Time Job Category
BID Needham Organization
SecurityHours Per Week (for Per Diem enter 1)
Posting ID: 593247752Posted: 2020-12-16