About MedStar Health
- Job Summary
- Performs a variety of routine and stat specimen collections via venipuncture or capillary collection safely and per procedure for all age groups. Performs other special laboratory collection procedures, i.e. throat culture, nasal culture, etc. Greets patients, orders laboratory testing, and issues faxes and/or calls results.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of previous Phlebotomy experience
National Healthcare AssociationPhlebotomy certified
- Preferred Qualifications
- ASCP or ASPT certification preferred
- Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Competent and efficient in performing phlebotomy procedures, blood collection, via venipuncture or capillary collection, on all age groups: neonate, children, adolescent, adult, and geriatric, and other specimen collection, i.e., throat, nose, etc. as required. Assists in the orientation/ training of new associates as requested.
- Promotes customer satisfaction by greeting patients, explaining the procedure/ process, and resolving any problems quickly and efficiently with referral to Team Lead or Supervisor as needed.
- Accurately orders laboratory testing and faxes and/ or calls results as required.
- Positively identifies and verifies identification for all patients and/ or samples per established protocol.
- Adheres to all safety measures to include proper hand washing, blood collection site is thoroughly cleaned per protocol, and proper disposal of sharps.
- Responsible for reviewing the LIS pending log to ensure all tests have been collected or accounted for with documented comments. Troubleshoots outliers as needed.
- Operates and maintains centrifuges daily and logs maintenance performed onto the appropriate log. Troubleshoots as necessary and reports problems/ issues to supervisor immediately.
- Rotates and maintains inventory for the phlebotomy area and phlebotomy basket. Work area is neat, clean, and orderly.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and maintains requirements of clinical ladder.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Posting ID: 593247939Posted: 2021-04-21Job Title: Phlebotomist