Baker Electric, Inc. is a subsidiary of publicly traded EMCOR Group Inc. and is a full service electrical contractor serving the electrical needs of Des Moines and the state of Iowa since 1946.SUMMARY
The ideal Project Cost Accountant performs professional level accounting work in the maintenance and analysis of fiscal records. He or she is responsible primarily for monitoring the progress of projects
, investigating variances, working with the appropriate operations personnel to develop projections, and ensuring that project billings are within customer specifications and issued to them on a timely basis. This individual will also assist with general ledger analysis, assist with monthly closings, maintenance of specific job cost and accounting files, and preparation/organization of various job cost forms, reports, and financial analyses, etc. He or she is expected to grasp an overall knowledge of both the construction business and economic environment to provide analytical support to the CFO and Accounting Team at large. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties may be assigned.
- Analysis of job cost and profit/loss of ongoing projects, and assist with preparation of monthly estimated at completion cost projections.
- Communicate with Project Management regarding billings, change orders, back charges, purchase order clean-up, labor and material costs, and profit/loss analysis.
- Calculate and maintain hourly cost breakdowns and billing labor rates.
- Review expenses, supplier invoices, time sheets, overhead charges, account totals, customer specific cost coding, etc.
- Investigate all project expenses not billed to customers and confer with.
- Investigate project variances and submit variance reports to management.
- Report on project profitability to management, opportunities for additional billings, remaining funding available for projects.
- Work with project managers to close out project accounts upon project completion.
- Compile information and reports for management, customers, internal and external auditors, as required.
- Participate as an active team member and be accountable for all accounting issues pertaining to assigned projects.
- Support CFO and Sr. Project Cost Accountant in the job cost/accounting activities of the Company, maintenance of regular cost reports, periodic budgets and forecasts, accurate processing of accounting transactions, and such other duties and responsibilities as come within the purview of this position.
- Maintain confidentiality of company information.
- Escalate critical and/or sensitive issues to the CFO and Controller with recommendation for resolution.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Business, or Engineering with detailed understanding of project contracts and change order documents.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and city regulations and guidelines.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
- Proficient with accounting/finance software programs and any systems implementation experience a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word and Excel applications.
- Intellectual curiosity, willingness to learn and take ownership of given tasks.
Posting ID: 593555815Posted: 2020-12-17Job Title: Project Cost Accountant