Liberty University's hiring practices andEEOStatement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the "religion" component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. Liberty University is in that category.
Does this position require driving?
Contact Phone Ext
Job Summary/Basic Function
The Plumbing Supervisor is responsible for all essential personnel, planning and performing preventative maintenance and repairs, emergency repairs, diagnosing repairs, and installation of plumbing systems. Maintains the inspection backflow preventer and boilers database. Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion is essential to this job.
Education and Experience
This position requires a high school degree orGED. Minimum 7 years of plumbing experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. State Driver's license and insurable with company's agent. Well-developed communications skills. Well-developed communications skills and detail oriented are a must. A current State of Virginia Master Plumber License, Master Gas License, and a Master Backflow license is preferred but not required. Must be certified on backflow preventions and Certifications must be kept current. Certifications obtained while employed by Liberty University at the expense of the employer will be reimbursed back to the University upon voluntary termination (resignation) for the first 12 months after acquiring it. Must be detailed oriented, have strong organizational and planning skills. As well as, well-developed communications skills.
1. As Essential Personnel you are expected to be available in the event of school closings, delays, shutdowns and any emergencies including clean up required because of severe weather incidents. Performs snow removal activities as assigned. Such as shoveling, salting, etc. Maintenance Technicians are essential to the overall success of Liberty University and its day-to-day functions, especially during ongoing campus events such as Winter Fest, Orientation, Convocation, Commencement, andCFAW, summer camps, amongst other planned and unplanned events throughout the year. Must be available to work scheduled and unscheduled hours as emergency needs arise.
2. Reports to work at the required time and performs duties as assigned by the Maintenance Manager
3. Supervises all personnel in the plumbing shop,
4. Planning, scheduling, organizing and directing work, training personnel, and recommending applicants for employment or for discipline, termination or retention.
5. Orders and purchases tools, equipment and supplies.
6. Maintain records of jobs performed, department charge codes and hours worked by employees.
7. Monitors jobs to insure quality and proper compliance with job standards.
8. Coordinates activities with other trades areas, project manager or outside contractors.
9. Assists in and makes final decision on implementing engineering and design work related to plumbing.
10. Estimates costs of various jobs.
11. Disposes of obsolete, unused plumbing equipment.
12. Coordinates repairs of fleet vehicles used in Plumbing Shop.
13. Maintains, repairs or replaces domestic hot and cold-water lines.
14. Repairs and replaces steam hot water exchangers for major building heating systems and pools.
15. Repairs and replaces pneumatic steam valves, radiator valves, traps, and steam and condensate pipes.
16. Repairs and replaces domestic hot water heat pumps, chilled water pumps, sump pumps, and sewage pumps.
17. Installs, tests, and repairs all sizes of backflow prevention devices.
18. Leads troubleshooting efforts and repairs steam, water, and gas distribution systems.
19. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
20. Provides sketches and dimensions used by drafters to create plans for subcontractor work.
21. Researches catalogs and vendor services for complex and/or customized system retrofits.
22. Interprets and applies mechanical and structural blueprints to plan plumbing repairs and modifications.
23. In coordination with management, assigns to and tracks corrective and preventive maintenance tasks given to subordinate plumbers.
24. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
25. Read blueprints and drawings to determine exact specifications and where plumbing system will be installed.
26. Keep records of assignments and produce detailed work reports.
27. Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
Determine water supply networks and waste drainage systems.
28. Ensure legislation and policies are met and that systems are up to code.
29. Ensure systems meet all standards of building codes and safety.
30. Assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment.
31. Installs other plumbing equipment, such as sinks, tubs, toilets, water heaters, air conditioners, appliances, and trim under Supervision.
32. Must provide own hand tools to perform and complete trade related tasks.
33. Remains abreast of existing and emerging technologies, processes, products, services and leading industry performance benchmarks.
34. Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission.
Communication and Comprehension
Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well articulated information.
Ability to understand, speak, and write English in order to convey messages and correspond in an articulate and professional manner.
Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
Ability to lead others in troubleshooting and emergency repairs.
Ability to develop and implement planned maintenance programs.
Ability to read, understand and follow safety procedures.
Possess public communication skills that allow professional representation of Liberty University to a variety of business and community customers and associates.
Strong organizational skills.
Excellent computer skills.
Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment in order to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
Physical and Sensory Abilities Occasionally required to travel to on and off campus locations.
Required to be able stand, walk, and climb stairs to move around campus for extended periods of time.
Must be able to lift 50+ pounds and perform duties of the plumbing maintenance craft indoor and outdoor in typical Virginia climate.
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible daily hours as well as various evening hours.
Ability to use radio and telephone to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Must be able to perform physically demanding work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, and standing, walking and driving.
The working environment in which one will typically perform the essential functions of this position is an indoor/ outdoor setting and defined by the weather. Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises. It involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
Use of one's personal vehicle (or LU vehicles) is required for travel in the performance of the essential functions of this position. Proof of a valid Virginia driver's license, an acceptableDMVrecord, and liability insurance is required.
7:00am - 3:30pm
Monday - Friday
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible daily hours as well as various evening hours as needed.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Please fill out the application completely and do not leave any blanks.
Provide as much information about your past and current job experiences, education, certifications, etc. that would be beneficial or would apply to this job.
Licenses/ certifications to attach to your application:
*Current State of Virginia Master Plumber License
*Master Gas License
*Master Backflow License
*VA State drivers license
*Any other licenses or certifications that pertain to this trade
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Career Advancement Form (For Current LU Employees ONLY)
- Pastoral Reference Letter