Liberty University's hiring practices andEEOStatement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the "religion" component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. Liberty University is in that category.
Ceilings & Flooring Technician
Does this position require driving?
Contact Phone Ext
Job Summary/Basic Function
Working independently or with a team, the Ceilings & Flooring Technician exercises good judgment and discretion in the performance of their work assignments, including performing repair, removal, and installation of ceiling grid and tile, and repair, removal, and installation of various types of carpet and vinyl flooring.
High School diploma orGED. 1+ year of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred. Must be able to understand and follow instructions, and work under limited supervision. Must be able to work well with the public and co-workers and present a positive attitude. Exceptional self-management. Desire to work with a team to accomplish goals. Urgency to grow and improve. Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access) and basic computer skills are a plus. Clean and professional appearance. Must be courteous, detailed oriented. Self-motivated, diligent, trustworthy, possess strong organizational and planning skills and well-developed communication skills. Must be able to lift up to 50+ pounds and perform duties of the Renovation -Construction trade in typical Virginia Climate. This position might require the use of and operation of aerial lifts or be willing and able to obtain aerial lift certifications, operate, and work from various aerial lifts and heights. Certifications obtained while employed by Liberty University at the expense of the employer will be reimbursed back to the University upon voluntary termination (resignation) for the first 12 months after acquiring it.
1. As Essential Personnel, you are expected to be available in the event of school closings, delays, shutdowns, and any emergencies including clean up required because of severe weather incidents. Maintenance employees are essential to the overall success of Commencement (May) and Orientation and Move-in (August) weekend events and special events that are scheduled in facilities throughout the year and must be available to work schedule and unscheduled hours as emergency needs arise. Performs snow removal activities as assigned, such as shoveling, salting, etc.
2. Reports to work at the required time and location, performing duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
3. Primary responsibilities will be removal, installation of new, repair and replacement of ceiling grid and tile and various carpet and vinyl flooring materials.
4. Secondary responsibilities can include a wide variety of general and semi-skilled construction renovation activities as assigned by immediate supervisor for the purpose of completing projects within established time frames.
5. Able to measure and mark surface according to blueprints and drawings.
6. Knowledge of the basic tools, including but not limited to use and read a measuring tape, make cuts with various hand and electric operated devices, use drills, hammers, screw drivers, and an assortment or job related hand tools.
7. As required, assists skilled maintenance workers with projects (e.g. transporting and/or securing materials, completing specific tasks, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects in a safe, efficient manner.
8. As required, supports skilled tradesmen and/or assigned supervisor(s) for the purpose of completing projects and work orders efficiently.
9. Ensures that project site remains clean and orderly for the purpose of providing an effective working/learning environment, preventing damage and/or limiting liability exposure.
10. If provided, must maintain assigned vehicle, tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability in safe operating condition.
11. As required, participates in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
12. Depending upon work assignment, may prepare written materials (e.g. repair status, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or conveying information.
13. May be required to respond to emergency calls or situations during and after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
14. Transports a variety of tools, equipment and supplies for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
15. May work closely with customers on the requirements and completion of work orders and projects.
16. Following manufacturer and industry recommended maintenance requirements, regularly inspects and evaluates tools and equipment to ensure that they operate efficiently and safely, and maintains inspection records.
17. Follows established safety procedures and techniques and ensures employees have knowledge and training of all applicable safety procedures and are provided with essential safetyPPE.
18. Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission.
19. As necessary, provide own hand tools to perform and complete trade related tasks.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
Communication and Comprehension
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to convey clear, well-articulated information.
Demonstrates dependability, accountability and initiative with ability to work with limited supervision.
Ability to understand, speak, and write English in order to convey messages and correspond in an articulate and professional manner.
Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
Ability to read, understand and follow safety procedures.
Should be detailed oriented.
Effective organizational skills.
Competent computer skills.
Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment in order to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
Physical and Sensory Abilities
Regularly required to travel to/from on and off campus locations.
Required to stand and walk around campus for extended periods of time.
Must be able to lift 50+ pounds and perform duties of the general maintenance craft indoor and outdoor in typical Virginia climate.
Work from ladders and lifts.
Work on knees or while kneeling.
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible day and night hours.
Ability to use the telephone and computer to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions.
Regularly required to hear and speak in order to effectively communicate orally.
Handle materials, reach overhead, kneel or stoop in order to conduct business.
The working environment in which one will typically perform the essential functions of this position is an office, shop, and outdoor settings, and as dictated by the weather conditions. May involve exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that required following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment. Work may involve some exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemical, biohazardous materials, dirt dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises. As necessary, must be able to climb ladders and stairs, access roofs and confined spaces.
Must have state of Virginia Driver's license and insurable with company's agent. Use of one's personal vehicle (or LU vehicles) is required for travel in the performance of the essential functions of this position. Proof of a valid Virginia driver's license, an acceptableDMVrecord, and liability insurance is required.
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible hours as well as various evening hours as needed.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Please include all job duties and gained experience from past employment opportunities.
Licenses/ certifications to attach to your application:
- VA State drivers license
- Any other licenses or certifications that pertain to this trade
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Career Advancement Form (For Current LU Employees ONLY)
- Pastoral Reference Letter